Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my Pc a lemon ?

• Please log in to reply

muaythai2

muaythai2

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I bought a new Pc for gameing . It has a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600ghz 2.40 GHz Proccesor

3071 Mb of ddr2 Ram

ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro Graphics Card . [ Updated to latest driver ]

Im running Windows vista Home Premium , have Norton anti virus running while gameing .

When I play the Witcher ,Gears of War or Oblivion at 1900x1200 .I get a lot of screen tearing during cut scenes . During game play it gets choppy sometimes , and dosent play as smoothly as I would like .

Also it takes about 25 seconds to unrar a 700mb file with winrar

Should my pc be able to handle these games better ? I thought it would as there is a lot of power , Or is my pc ok and I just need a a better videocard ? Anyone know a software app I could use to check to see im my pcs performance is ok ?

Edited by muaythai2, 31 January 2008 - 02:19 AM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I'm sure your PC is fine. There are only a couple video cards on the market capable of playing a game like Oblivion on 1920x1200 resolution. That is a very high resolution to be gaming at. You can have a look at this chart: http://www23.tomshar...0...6&chart=298

The top two cards are only getting 30FPS in this particular build on Oblivion in 1920x1600. The 2600pro isn't a very good gaming card for what you are trying to play.

If you would like to upgrade your video card let us know and we will help you select one.

have Norton anti virus running while gameing .

Norton a/v has no business being on gaming machine. It is a resource hog and I would replace it with something much less demanding such as AVG or Nod32.

Edited by Titan8990, 31 January 2008 - 04:03 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I concur with Titan.

By dropping your screen resolution, your frame rate will increase. I love to play call of duty 4. default optimization puts my resolution at 1024x768. My frames run about ~100. when I change the resolution to 1200x1024 (native resolution for my monitor) I drop down to about ~50 on average. Still very playable.

try dropping the resolution and see if that helps.

muaythai2

muaythai2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for the replys .

Totally agree about Norton Ive allways used Nod , but I had 3 free months of norton with my new pc .
All the games seem to play fine at 1200 x 800 im going to try out Crysis and see how well I can play that one . Im guessing that using xp instead of vista would improve my performance with a lot of games also ?

I am planning on upgradeing my Videocard , could use some help selecting one . I Think my pc has a 350 watt Power supply , im not sure if I want to upgrade my power supply or not ? Video cards are pretty exspensive allready and adding a power supply to the cost might be more than I want to spend .

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, 350watts is not going to cut it if you are looking to improve on the 2600pro. You are looking at a minimum of about $90 for a new quality PSU.

muaythai2

muaythai2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I tried crysis on my pc . It plays great at medium settings and 1280 x 800 . Plays not very good at 1900 x 1200 and is unplayable at high settings at 1900 x 1200 .

What kind of video card would I need to be able to play this game at 1900 x 1200 and high setttings ? Would it be possilble to get the videocard and PS for under 300 $ ?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
In short, no. What you can do is get the best GPU currently available and it will still struggle. This is the top performer ATM: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161224.

Crysis is just more demanding at those resolutions than modern hardware is ready for.