Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Troubleshooting Common PC Errors

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Post removed.

This wasn't your guide, it was copied verbatim from other sources. :) It is considered to be plagiarism, when you copy something and don't cite your source.

I found the EXACT same article HERE, HERE, and HERE, just for starters.

In the future, why not do your own work, and post YOUR suggestions... instead of someone else's.

Edited by Kat, 02 February 2008 - 12:08 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Should have been posted under How-To Guides and Tutorials .

Ron

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Please help me move it, thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The following is my critique of your post. Please take this in the way it is intended, which is constructive criticism.

What OS is this addressing? Several of the items you mention are only for Win 95/98 or ME and do not apply to NT/2000/XP/Vista.

Some problems I noticed:
  • Many of the entries are generic and need a lot more detail.
  • You use acronyms like S.M.P.S.but don't explain what they mean.
  • The beep codes you mention are not universal, they only apply to some BIOS makes.
  • You mention data cable in various places. What is this, is it the IDE cable?
  • For No display on screen you mention the hard disk not being connected correctly. That is only one of many things that can cause this and one of the less likely. Defective memory or PSU is more likely.
  • This one has me baffled:

9. SHOWING CMOS ERROR
    Replace 3 Volt battery of Mother Board . Set Original Settings Manually.(Refer CMOS Setup chart)
    Enter your search termsSubmit search form

What does the above have to do with this? Also, where do you find a CMOS setup chart?

I could go on but I hope you see what I'm getting at. The idea you posted is good but it needs a lot of work to be useful, especially to people that do not have a lot of technical ability background.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ztruker is correct, Doctor Inferno. This guide will be a good resource once it is complete. You need to do a little more research as different BIOS versions offer up different codes for the same issues. You're off to a good start, please feel free to post back when you have a more complete list for us! :)

If you need to open this for a little editing or would like to discuss some changes, please feel free to PM me. :)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Post edited, and removed completely, due to the reasons I cite in the Edit. :)