Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i think my comp is not running at full throttle..

• Please log in to reply

flozz

flozz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi all,

i am not sure if i am in the right topic but i am gonna try anyway..

i've just got a new comp, m2n xplus Processor x86 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2310 Mhz
mobo, nvidia 8600 gt graphics card, 2 gig of mem. OS is winxp sp2
i,ve bought it with gaming in mind.

i have the idea that there is something not right.
when playing crysis for example, i need to turn all my settings to med. and when playing for 20 min it won't run smoothly anymore so i turn it to low.
i looked up the specs for crysis and i should be okay i think.
i also run asus smart docter with settings to "3d games"

so... the question is, can anyone take a look at my system?
see if there's something wrong with it?

thanx in advance!
Flozz

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi flozz, welcome to Geeks to Go!

Unfortunately, the 8600GT is not a very good gaming card at all, I think this is your problem. Crysis is a very intensive game, even the high-end graphics cards (such as an Nvidia 8800GTX) still struggle to run this game on high settings!

It also depends what resolution you're running at, what size and resolution is your monitor?

Cheers,

Troy

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
this is the pc that crytek built:

http://kotaku.com/34...dable-crysis-pc

this is a modest system that runs crysis decently.

flozz

flozz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
@troy

hi , thanx for the fast reply
to bad, i tought i had a decent graph card.. in fairness, crysis is quite a heavy game.
i have a 19 inch mon and running it 1440/900

i think i see your point, gonna downsize it a little :)

thanx!

@starjax

hi,

thats a nice system they're talking about,(fot that money anyway)
but i just bought this one, so it have to make do for a while.
thanx!

Flozz

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I pretty much have that exact system, except my motherboard is a P35 Intel chipset! On my 17-inch monitor (1280x1024) I can have the demo running at playable frame-rates on ultra-high/high, but on my mates 22-inch widescreen (1680x1050) I have to change a few settings to medium, but mostly high...

Troy

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
the next game conference crytek attends, they are supposed to show off a $600 pc playing crysis.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Typically I prefer to play FPS games at a lower resolution. Makes my crosshairs bigger :).

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

It might run it decently, but how are you gonna know that without a monitor? :)
And how are you going to play without any input devices?

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Get one more nvidia 8600 gt graphics card and SLI it.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
SLI does next to nothing on Crysis, especially on lower end cards. If you want to upgrade I would get the 9600gt which will be released on February 21st for about $150-$170. It will be about twice as powerful as the 8600gt.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
SLI will help make games playable. I've known several people who did this as an interim step until they could upgrade their systems. Still, when looking at the market, the 8800gt is the best buy/performance you can get. Keep in mind that the 9600gt is the midrange REPLACEMENT for the 8600. NDA's are still in affect so not much is known about the actual performance, as of yet.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Investing in two mid-range cards is not economical, especially if you then plan to upgrade to a better single card at a later date. You should just save up get the single card in the first place.

While it may have the same midrange designation (x600GT), that doesn't mean performance will be the same. Look at the 7600GT compared to the 6600GT, there is a large performance gap between the two. Performance-wise, the 9600GT is more of a replacement of the 8800GS.

[quote name='http://www.pureoverclock.com/story1756.html']Nvidia's upcoming midrange board - the 9600 GT - was originally slated for launch on February 14th to take over the 8800 GS' duties in fighting the HD 3850. Instead however, the board has been delayed until February 21st.[/quote]

Also, as for performance:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
[quote name='http://www.tweaktown.com/news/8877/index.html']Under Windows Vista on a 680i SLI motherboard with an Intel 3GHz E6850 processor and 2GB RAM, the 9600GT shows plenty of promise even with early drivers (171.16 beta). The SLI 9600GT setup manages to beat the 8800 Ultra under 3DMark06 by quite some margin – 13080 vs. 12142 marks. For reference, a single 9600GT will get you just over the 10k point mark.

Considering the price of the Ultra and what the mid-range 9600GT will probably be, it looks as if Nvidia already have a winner on their hands. Keep in mind the 9600GT is still at least a few weeks away and that will give the driver people at Nvidia even more chance to find tune the driver and suck even more performance out of the card.[/quote]

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
According to Tom's Hardware 2x8800GTs will outperform a single 8800 Ultra at the same price point. This however is not including the extra cost for SLI MOBO.

http://www.tomshardw...d_for_gt500_tie