Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Broadband Modem & Wireless Networking

• Please log in to reply

eagent

eagent

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I live in the sticks - can't get DSL or cable. I'm currently using Hughes.Net and would LOVE to change to almost anything as I FAP out about once a week.

I'm testing a Verizon USB Broadband wireless modem. This thing only has one wire - a USB cable that runs from the unit - about the size of large bic lighter - to the USB port on my computer. Installation was pretty easy and it seems to work OK.

BUT

I need to set up a home network. My printer is wireless, we have one other desktop computer with a wireless receiver and the kids have wireless laptops. I cannot figure out how to hook the USB Modem to a router. Verizon says they don't support networking with this device and suggested I contact Belkin (the maker of my wireless router and wireless receiver.)

I've contacted Belkin and they suggested I buy their Belkin Wireless Range Extender Part # F5D7132. Prior to buying more parts - since I don't want to open a discount computer parts store when this is done - I downloaded the manual for this device and have read through it. I STILL CANNOT figure out how I'm supposed to hook the USB Modem into anything that will allow me to run a network.

I'd truly appreciate any help on this. I'm about at the point where I'm just going to send this stuff back to Verizon and go back to Hughes.Net.

Thanks,
EAgent

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
Your Verison card does not work as a wireless adapter, or router. It is basicly a cell phone.
This card is not designed for multiple computer users. It is intended to be used with one computer at a time.
The card is not a modem as much as it is a wireless NIC (adapter) that transmits and recieves on a cell phone frequency.
The wireless routers, and adapters usually use a 2.4 GHz frequency, not the same as for a cell phone.
I do not believe that it is possible to hook the Verizon card up to a router as you would a modem.
Please go here to read about Verizon plans.

eagent

eagent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
As I feared. The Verizon weenie gave me bad info. I guess its back to Hughe.Net for now!