Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

multiple xp os

• Please log in to reply

oopsDIDitAGAIN

oopsDIDitAGAIN

• Pip
  • 9 posts
when i boot up it shows all the decices,well i have 2 hdds a westrn digi 20 gb,and the other is a special edition 8 gig from a xbox<that is ntsf?>,well anyways after all that it gives me the option of wich xp to boot ..one is good, i is crap,brand new settings....
the only version of xp is a updaye yo home version,<i think anyways??>

HOW DO I GET RID OFF THE crappy xp setting,so i can use the 8 giger for storage only.total noob i am sorry for the lame post,i think they may be on the same disk though<c:>
xp home edittion
64 ram
233 proccesser
old peice of crap!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I was with you all the way to this:
"updaye yo home version"

I don't ask for good grammar, but give a poor old english major a break, man. Throw me a bone.

next post in English please.

If you could, post a copy of your boot.ini file

oopsDIDitAGAIN

oopsDIDitAGAIN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I HAVE CORRECTED BY BAD ENGRISH.........................................................................................................

when i boot up it shows all the decices,well i have 2 hdds a westrn digi 20 gb,and the other is a special edition 8 gig from a xbox<that is ntsf?>,well anyways after all that it gives me the option of wich xp to boot ..one is good, i is crap,brand new settings....
the only version of xp is a upgrade home version,<i think anyways??>

HOW DO I GET RID OFF THE crappy xp setting,so i can use the 8 giger for storage only.total noob i am sorry for the lame post,i think they may be on the same disk though<c:>
xp home edittion
64 ram
233 proccesser
old peice of crap!!!!!!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
AND I ASKED

If you could, post a copy of your boot.ini file

View Post

oopsDIDitAGAIN

oopsDIDitAGAIN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
SURE HOW DO I DO THAT..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in lower case preferably.

Two ways:
open c:\boot.ini in notepad

or

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose START UP AND RECOVERY settings button, hit EDIT

oopsDIDitAGAIN

oopsDIDitAGAIN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
;) :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, this is what you've got going on.

The part I've bolded is the Windows installation that loads if you do absolutely nothing, but wait out the 30 second menu

This OS installation is located on the first ide adapter, on the first disk, on the first partition

The non-bolded choice is located on the first IDE adapter, second disk, first partition

So, which one do you want to delete? I am unsure what you consider the "crappy" one.

--------------------------------------------------

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

oopsDIDitAGAIN

oopsDIDitAGAIN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
drive c is da good one, drive d is the crappy one(when booting i use the first xp and not the second one,i have the option to run wichever

that the one<crappy aka disk d: right,so how do i dump it,i was told that wester digi has a reformater for the hdd,if i were to that,would it ruin xp booting

:tazz:

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Here is how to dump the "Crappy One" as you call it.

Click "Start" and then "Run". Type "MSCONFIG" and press "Enter".

Click the "Boot.ini" tab at the top of the window that opens.

Remove the check from the box next to "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect".

Reboot the computer. By removing the check, you're telling the PC to forget about that XP installation during the boot process. After rebooting, you may get a message in a pop up window that states that you are using selective startup. If by chance you get this message, just click "Don't show this message" at the bottom of the window and then click "Close". The message is simply letting you know that changes were made to your boot process and/or startup options. We know about the change because we just made it ourselves so you shouldn't be bothered with that message.

Hope this helps.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Oh my goodness, I have you disabling the wrong Operating System. In my post above, the box to be unchecked should be the crappy one - "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect".

Sorry about that. :tazz:

oopsDIDitAGAIN

oopsDIDitAGAIN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thank you very much,i havent done it yet but plan on it today,so if there are any other advice thnk you..

1 more question after i do this dump,will there still be 2 program files,pretty much 2 of everything needed....

one more thing please,when i disable the 2nd hdd<D:>the crappy one..pull the power and the ide cable from it it says that cant find OS..is that cusae i have a 2hdd ide cable or is there an error..
come to thimk of it ,it doesnt even read the drives.(i think,too much brain abuse lately,10 mnth old son)WOW

Edited by oopsDIDitAGAIN, 24 April 2005 - 12:17 PM.