Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install update

• Please log in to reply

Cloud_D

Cloud_D

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I've been trying to install this item in Windows Update for the past week and kept getting an error code 643. The update in question is "Security Update for Microsoft.NET framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB929729)".

I've followed the following instructions from the link the error gave:

Windows Update error 80070643

If you receive Windows Update error 80070643 while installing updates for Microsoft Office 2003, you might need to restart the Office Source Engine (OSE) service. Windows Update can automatically start the service to install updates for Office products if the service is set to the default Manual setting. If the service is disabled, you need to restart it, and then try to install the latest updates for Office products again.

To restart the Office Source Engine (OSE) service
You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Click to open Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If the Office Source Engine service is disabled, double-click it to open the service properties.

Click the Startup type list, click Automatic (Delayed Start), and then click Apply.

Under Service status, click Start.

However, it still doesn't help in the installation of the update. Anyone else have the same problem or could help me with it? Thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to the forum, Cloud D.

The 'fix' you refer to is only one of three possible remedies. The other two are:

* The 'ose.exe' file could be corrupted and needs replacing with a 'clean' copy.

* Office 2003 may need re-installing.

Please go here for a fuller explanation of these:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903772

Cloud_D

Cloud_D

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I have uninstalled Office 2003 (am using 2007 now) and do not have the installation disc. Is there anywhere I can get a clean copy of ose.exe?