Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting Hardrive

• Please log in to reply

Hexzar

Hexzar

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Ok, i have a laptop. It is partitioned into 2 drives -

C Drive - 7 Gig - This has the windows folder in it, and is used for installing programs and their files.

D Drive - 20 Gig - This is used for downloading stuff.

I fear that eventually the C drive will get full. And i really dont need the D drive to be seperate.

So my question is, how can i delete the D Drive so all it's space can go into the C Drive? The problem is, i dont have a XP disc.

Any help is appreciated thanks.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

A third party program such as Partition Magic would do that for you.

BTW, where is your XP cd?

Murray

Hexzar

Hexzar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I got my laptop quite early on when Xp first came out. Since then i have no idea where the disc has gone... i just have the serial key.

And thanks murray.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There is also qtparted which is on the Knoppix Live CD, but make sure that you back up everything before changing the partition since problems can occur.

Keeping the user data separate is a good idea as you could reload the OS without affecting the data.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I got my laptop quite early on when Xp first came out. Since then i have no idea where the disc has gone... i just have the serial key.

And thanks murray.

Not a problem. BTW, as long as you have the original key and your XP cd was NOT OEM, then any retail XP cd would work in your system as long as it was the same as what was originally installed - XP Home, XP Pro, etc.

Murray