Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PowerColor Radeon 9800SE Won't Work

• Please log in to reply

CMK2901

CMK2901

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Just a few days ago, I got a new video card to replace my old Radeon 7000VE. However, after putting it in, I encountered huge problems.

First, whenever the computer displays 3D, it freezes and I get a VPU recover alert.

Second, the monitor itself randomly shuts itself down (the light on the monitor turns orange and the screen goes black).

Third, the computer also randomly stops responding and the entire screen gets scrambled up.

Fourth, I'm getting the "blue screen of death" every once in a while, which is pointing to the file "ati2dvag.dll" as the culprit.

I've uninstalled the drivers and re-installed new ones several times, ran virus and spyware software, and checked the connection with the computer and it just keeps happening. The video card even runs slower than my old one with 1/8 of the RAM!

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I have:
AMD Anthlon 1.3GHz
300W Power Supply
Windows XP
Latest Catalyst drivers
Powercolor Radeon 9800SE 256MB Video Card

Edited by CMK2901, 21 April 2005 - 06:58 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Download and run this free tool

and see if it helps. Remove all the video drivers and then reinstall the new ones

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I checked into this a little further so heres some more info.

Your power supply is right on the edge, your cards manufactuer recommends a 300w minimum so I would suspect you need to upgrade the psu.

Make sure to not share the power cable with anyother device

disable 'fastwrite' feature in section 'smartgart' of ATi advanced display properities, try to change the AGP speed from 8X to 4X

Try each of these one at a time in any order to see what works.

Rick