Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Had Maleware Now Drives are gone or corrupt NEED HELP

• Please log in to reply

jweise33

jweise33

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Viruses I had were vundo, RootKit.TnCore, Winfixer, and outerinfo I think. Now my computer is not recognizing my USB drives or my CD-Rom drive. I tried posting on the Malware forum and they told me to bring my problem here. So I would appreciate any help that anyone can give me. When I goto the Device manage is says that it cannot locate my drives and when I delete them my computer recognized new hardware but then when I try to use them they do not work and the device manager again says that the drives are missing or corrupt.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi jweise33, welcome to G2G.

Start here: Advanced troubleshooting tips for USB

jweise33

jweise33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I feel that if I get my CD-ROM working it will benefit me more then the USB, it is 2:40 am where I am. Therefore I will attempt these procedures tomorrow. I fully recognize your efforts to help those in need of technolohical understanding. I am fully in debt.

jweise33

jweise33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK, I got interested and tried what you posted. The issue is I have no System folder under the control panel and when I goto the device manager it is in the administrative tools and do not see any of the steps that can be followed in the instructions listed

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
To get to Device Manager, click on Start then Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

From your description, it may be time to do a Repair Install. See here: Repair Install

jweise33

jweise33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I can not use the CD because none of my drives are working. Any other Ideas?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello jweise33...

Let's see if we can get the optical drive working first...then we'll look into the USB problem.

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
jweise33, your optical drives are not working in XP. That does not mean they won't work to allow you to boot from them to do a Repair Install.

If wannabe1's suggestion doesn't work, try what I suggested. If you can't boot then there is a hardware problem and nothing you do in XP is going to make any difference.

jweise33

jweise33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Both Upperfilter and lower filter are both listed. Ztrucker I will attempt the process again, and keep you updated. I appreciate all the help you two are giving me very much.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's remove the filters...that should bring your drives back online.

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose "Export". Save this to your desktop...name it "filters.old".

Then right click on LowerFilters and choose "Delete". Accept the change.

Right click on UpperFilters and choose "Delete". Accept the change.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Did you get your drives back?

jweise33

jweise33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
AWESOME! All of my drives are working! Thank you very much for your help! It is ok to delete that old reg file now right?

Again - Thank you, it has been a few weeks that I have been tring to get my computer back in shape, and I believe it is finally there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad we could help! :)

You can delete the file you saved to the desktop...it's no longer needed.