Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Nothing happens after Power Switch is turned on.

• Please log in to reply

ogre1183

ogre1183

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So, I recently moved and had to box up my computer. It remained boxed and untouched for about three weeks. As I unpacked it I decided to blow out the case with canned air. After doing so I plugged in the case and moniter.

But when I hit the power switch nothing happened. No fans, no boot, no nothing. Not even the starting beeps that should hint what the problem is. It's as if did nothing.

The Power source is good as well as the power outlet I'm using. The mother board gives me a green light, but I see no other clue that the machine is working. I double checked to make sure the power switch was plugged in correctly and thats good too. I'm pulling my hair out here.

I really need help. I have basic hardware experience, but my troubleshooting skills are crap.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ogre1183, 31 January 2008 - 06:57 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Reseat the connections from the psu to the motherboard, if no go,,,,,,,
Remove the case switch connections to the motherboard taking carefull note to what pins they attached too, touch these too pins briefly with a screw driver release when the computer starts. This should start the computer, if it starts with this method then the case switch is bad, if not,,,,,,,,,,

Remove the psu from the computer, plug into the wall outlet and on the 20/24 pin connector touch the green and any black wire with a paper clip, this should start the psu and you can tell by the fan running or not. If the psu does not start its bad.

If the psu starts like this put it back in and try again, if the computer still does nothing then the psu may not be sending the power good signal to the motherboard and is considerd bad or in extreme cases the motherboard is bad.

Try these and report back, my guess at this point, loose connection or bad psu

Edited by Doby, 31 January 2008 - 08:36 PM.

ogre1183

ogre1183

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, Doby. I really needed an idea of what to replace.

So I did the switch test and assuming I did it right I got no response from the comp. then I pulled out the PSU and did that test and it started right up. Wasn't running super high, but running none the less.

I'm starting to think that it's the motherboard. I tested a fully functioning PSU in my case and I got nothing. Is there any other hardware malfunction that could cause this reaction?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If you tried a known working psu that leaves the motherboard or case switch, try and touch the pins again this time use a paper clip, make sure you have the correct pins these are usually labled on the motherboard as "PWR ON" or something of that nature.

It could be the motherboard but its the last thing I suspect because ususally even if a motherboard is bad it most times starts something, like fans.

Check you manual for jumpers make sure none became dis lodged, check the clear cmos jumper, most boards requier it to be on pins1&2, but again check the manual.

What motherboard is it?

ogre1183

ogre1183

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, no go with a paper clip either. I looked up my board and its definatley the right pins.

I'm using a Intel D845EPI/D845GVSR Desktop Motherboard.

Jumpers fine. I checked the manual up and down and I have no clue.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
One last thing to check, the cmos batery, pop it out and look for curosion, if you have a extra use it. Make sure as best you can that its making contact with the socket, slightly bend up the botton two prongs.

Thats all I can think of looks like a bad board

ogre1183

ogre1183

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yeah, no go there either.

well crap!

I've taken a look at some new boards but everything I look at is too big for my medium case. I can figure that out myself, but while looking at the mulitple boards I've read tons and tons of comments saying people are having a terrible time working with these boards unless they are building a new PC.

My biggest worry is that I'll get a new board and then it won't be recognozed by my hard drive or OS. I can't afford to buy a new computer and I really need the programs and files on my hard drive. It's my baby and I've customized it just for me over the years. I can recustomize, but replacing all that data when the darn info is on my hard drive and working just fine? heck no.

So what kind of troubles can I expect? We're talking an emachine, which I already have heard are terrible to work with. But the board is intel, so that should mean it's compatible with other intel boards at least right?

RIGHT?!

Edited by ogre1183, 03 February 2008 - 12:53 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ug I should have suspected this was a emachine they are notorious for failings power supplies and motherboard, you would have to replace the board and psu then I am unclear on if your emachine oem operating disk will let you reinstall windows. I no you will have to do at least a repair install if you change motherboards. So you would be best to buy a new hdd also and slave your old drive.

See what I am getting at? better to build new, awhile back I had a emachine in the shop with a bad motherboard, found a new matx motherboard on ebay for like 64 bucks but with labor and my insisting on changing the emachine psu the owner decided not to get it done and I agreed

ogre1183

ogre1183

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
allright, well I really apprectiate your help. I'll explore new comp options. I hadn't thought of slaving the old hard drive.

yeah, I wouldn't do emachine again. I was broke at the time.

Thanks for the help.