Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Registry Woes

• Please log in to reply

clyde

clyde

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Friends,
Very soon I am going to be upgrading my system (mobo/cpu) and after reading many of the posts in this here forum(Thx Samm) I have decided to reinstall XP at the same time. Knowing this I have begun teaching myself a little about the registry and how to tweak this and that. After all, I have really nothing to lose. However, much of what I see is still a mystery to me. For instance, RegistryFix claims to find 164 problems with my registry but won't fix them for less than about 30 bucks. Does anyone know of a good book (how 20th century) on the subject? It's just that whole 'teach a man to fish' thing I like to live by.

Much Love,
Clyde

Edited by clyde, 21 April 2005 - 07:24 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
without seeing what registry fix is complaining about, it is difficult to say what that's all about....9 of 10 errors that registry fixers claim are errors are merely pointers to files that no longer exist or were moved.

registry fix programs are of dubious value.

That doesn't really answer your question, though.

Probably the best book I've seen on the registry is the Windows XP registry guide

http://www.amazon.co...=books&n=507846

I don't know if that will help you, though, as I don't know what you want to learn

clyde

clyde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
thanks Gerry,
I'm just trying to learn how to hold my own. I will tell you this, however. Without this web site I would have given up a vey long time ago. I really can't thank everyone here enough.
Clyde