Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Duel Boot Vista and Xp

• Please log in to reply

muaythai2

muaythai2

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Im currently running windows vista , but want to add xp . I have 2 250gb hard drives . Should I put both Vista and xp on the same or seperate hard drives ?

How big of a partition do I need to make for xp if I have them both on the same drive ? I plan to do a lot of my gameing on xp . Will xp share the Program files from vista , or am I going to need to make a big partition for xp ?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The partition will only need to be large enough for XP itself with a bit of room for updates. You won't need a seperate HDD but it will need it's own partition. Backup any important files before attempting to do this.

Here is a guide: How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide

muaythai2

muaythai2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks

muaythai2

muaythai2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I get this message when I try to install xp " This program is blocked due to compatibility issues " Setup cannot continue becuase the version of windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD

When I try and install windows from the boot screen [ restart - f12 ] I get a windows has incontered errors and is closeing to prevent damage error .

If i get this working will I be able to have video/sound drivers for both Vista and Xp Installed on my pc ?

Edited by muaythai2, 05 February 2008 - 05:25 AM.