Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Directions on where to start with computer problems?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Aryan King

Aryan King

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
After buying multiple computers for my kids I finely inherited one from my daughter.I tried to clean as much of the junk she had on it off and installed a good security system.
After cleaning the disk and doing the defrag it still seems to run at a snails pace, moving from one INTERNET site to the next.Taking a minute or more to move from e mail to the next e mail.Currently the computer is running like it's still on dial up instead of broad ban.Start up seems to take for ever.

1.Do I need to install something to speed it up-processor or memory?
2.Do I have programs running that I don't need or want that are slowing me down?
3.l am not computer literate,in the least.
4.Maybe I am trying to make this computer do more than is possible for it's capabilities?
5.I currently have no real idea what the current memory capacity or speed of this computer is and no idea how to find out?
6.I believe this computer may still be full of "things" I really don't need but am just unable to understand to delete?

I had hoped to use this computer as and add on to to work with my laptop,maybe in a network fashion.But at the moment this computer seems a bit 'challenged" or maybe it's just me?

I know I should be giving you some stats here but frankly I can't even find them.It's on Windows XP and the computer is a Compaque Presario.

Edited by Aryan King, 01 February 2008 - 10:08 AM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
I would suggest that you start here.
Most often, when a computer is slower than it should be the cause is infection.

Aryan King

Aryan King

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have what I think is a good virus and spy wear protection system- Charter High Speed Security Suite F-Secure( http://www.f-secure.com/)-which is given from the cable company.

I ran it and found Result:
3 malware found:

Marketscore(Netsetter) (Data miner)
FILE:C:\WINDOWS\system32\rk.bin
FILE:C:\WINDOWS\system32\rlvknlg.exe

Summary
It claims to increase the speed of your internet connection. Every web connection you make, including 'secure' connections, goes through the proxies and is logged and analyzed on behalf of MarketScore's customer companies.

AdWare.Win32.RK (adware)
Action: quarantined
AdWare.Win32.NewDotNet (adware)
Action: quarantined

Apprently it could handle the last two but not the first one.Any suggestions?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Yes, copy exactly what you just posted, and start a new topic in the Malware forum.
I am not qualified to help you with malware, but the experts in the malware forum will fix your problem.

Edited by hfcg, 01 February 2008 - 06:13 PM.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Aryan King, please follow hfcg's valuable advice and start a new thread in the Malware forum.

The Discussion Forums are for general discussion and are not for specific computer problems.

This topis is now closed.