Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bad mobo? Bad power supply? I need help/advice.

• Please log in to reply

xlikwidx

xlikwidx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently I've had a problem where if I try to open World of Warcraft it would look like my computer went into sleep mode(happens maybe 50%-75% of the time). The monitor loses connection and flashes an amber light while the computer still runs. The only way to fix this problem is to restart the computer. Eventually the monitor still would not gain connection even after a restart and the only way I found to get it back would be to unplug the cable to the power supply in the back and reattach it. After doing this for maybe a week, one day I turned on the computer, but it looked like the motherboard wasn't getting any power, only the harddrive light would light up on the case and you could see the cpu fan wasn't even running. So after unplugging and reattaching the power supply cable it worked. Now I'm left in a situation where any of those things could happen at any point.
I can't figure out if it's the power supply or the motherboard or something else causing this problem, and I'd really like some opinions before I go and buy a power supply and still have the problem.
I'd appreciate any help or insight on the subject.
Thank you :)
-Chuck

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
The first thing that I would like to tell you is that a bad power supply can cause problems with the mother board.
I would suggest that you get a known good power supply and try it.
This easy test will help you to determine if you have a faulty power supply.
I do not understand the part about the monitor. Are you saying that it was only a loose power cord?

xlikwidx

xlikwidx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I'm not sure about the monitor, my guess has been that the video card is putting too much demand on the power supply or something. I don't think the problem exists with the monitor itself or any of the cables. The only way I could get a picture back to the monitor was to unplug the power supply cable and to plug it back in. Why this works i'm not positive, but it does.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Sounds like a power supply issue.
Lets hope that the problem has not migrated to your motherboard.

xlikwidx

xlikwidx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright well with some sort of confidence I'll buy a new power supply. Thanks for the opinion, it's appreciated. I'll give an update after I try it.