Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

anyone getting instant messenger upgrade offers ?

• Please log in to reply

jamally

jamally

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
:) has anyone encountered an window pop-up announcing an newer version of windows IM is available, and would you like to download it now. I was satisfied with my current version, so i ignored the offer for about three weeks. one day last week, i decided to look at the offer to see what it was about....... When i clicked the window, the window froze up, and didn't open up into any new links., but displayed another window , which was written in japanese.... and froze itself on my screen.. I restored my computer, and ran my different programs to check for problems- which found nothing... i wish to post the different windows which displayed on my screen, and if anyone knows what this fiasco is about, please holla back...

the open offer

Posted Image

and the resulting frozen japanese window .....

Posted Image

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would imagine you were hit by some phishing malware. Hopefully, none of your restore points are affected, but it wouldn't hurt to let the Malware Experts here have a look at your HiJackThis log to be sure. I would suggest you go through these Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials first.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 01 February 2008 - 04:18 PM.