Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Man Down Man Down

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all,

I put together a desktop last year and things have been working great. 2.4G Dual Core 2, 2Gig RAM, Fast video card. I was just playing Call of Duty 4 online and all of a sudden it went DEAD, D-E-A-D, DEAD. I thought the house lost power. I unplugged the power and turned off the switch, then I plugged it back in and turned the power on. The computer lights and fans inside flash on real quick then go off. Now it's not even doing that.

I will say that the computer was definitely warm/hot, but I've had it in the same conditions for almost a year now. (I did add the additional Gig of RAM last month). If you have any ideas PLLLEEEEEAAAASSSEEEE let me know. I have some important stuff on it that I can't get to now.

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi :)

I'm feasting for a little more information about your system. How big is the power supply? How well is the cooling inside the case?

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you don't even get any beeps its probably your power supply died ...
can you get into your bios...

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
REMOVE the external periperals one by one.

REMOVE the MONITOR cable from back of system
remove the keyboard, mouse, speakers etc
remove printers and other external peripherals, meaning leave the power cord as the only one plugged in at the back of the computer.
Try to turn the sytem on.

If same problem
Remove the hard drive cables from the drive (not the motherboard), remove the cables from the cd drives and floppy drives.
Remove expansion cards (PCI cards, PCI-e CARds)
Remove Dial up modem (if you have any)
Remove Memory Modules
Reseat the 20pin and 4 pin connector from the powersupply connected to the motherboard
plugged the powercord back to the system and try to power on the system.
If the computer still doesnt turn on, it could be your powersupply or the motherboard is bad already.
But 90% of the time it's the powersupply is bad.