Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Power converters for Japan?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Does anyone know of a good Japanese to American power converter? I brought a few with me from America to Japan, but none of them work. For the time being, I've simply used a surge protector that I brought over. I haven't had any significant problems from the surge protector, but I would like to find something more appropriate for my computer.

I've also heard that the voltages in Japan and America are similar enough that simple electronics may not even need converters. How true is this for more advanced electronics (my laptop in this case)?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

100 V 50/60 Hz
A, B (Plug Types)
Eastern Japan 50 Hz (Tokyo, Kawasaki, Sapporo, Yokohoma, and Sendai); Western Japan 60 Hz (Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Hiroshima)

PSE law (PSE法), as its commonly known, is the law that governs electrical appliance safety in Japan. PSE stands for Product Safety Electrical Appliance & Material. The formal name is 電気用品安全法, Denki Yohin Anzenhou. The most recent revision comes April 1, 2001. The PSE symbol can be found on appliances that are approved for use in Japan.

Voltage Transformers / Converter

Edited by Major Payne, 01 February 2008 - 10:15 PM.