Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stettybet0's Suggested Gaming Build

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Hello,
I am glad to see you doing a different build.
The idea is that some one with a basic knowledge of computers can get some ideas for their own build.
I would rather that some one get some ideas and make their own choices, so having several builds to look at will serve them better.

That was the idea mate, thanks. :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

You could be right on this one James, but I don't think it is as bad as you make it out to be. There are certainly worse choices out there. I will look into acquiring the tools to check the ripple effect myself. Since this is not a SLI machine (neither the one in the build or my personal one), the ripple effect is thankfully lessened.

Your looking at spending $150+ on the tools, you might as well just get a new PSU instead of the equipment to verify this. As for the ripple, while SLI will increase the ripple, it'll still be very bad without it. Also, that PSU is just as bad as I make it out to be, you might as well get a Dell PSU and plop it in there. That thing is atrocious and to be honest, I haven't seen a detailed review that bad on any PSU.

500 may have been an overstatement now that I think about it. I've owned the drive for nearly a year and we burn about 5-10 discs a week. At 10 discs a week, it would be around 500 discs. But if you take the average though, it is more like 300-350 discs. It actually does burn DVDs at 20x, though I updated the firmware a while back; I'm not sure if the firmware it comes with is capable of 20x. Also, you aren't required to use Lightscribe, but it is nice to have in case you ever want to use it.

I'm still very doubtful about 300 discs, but I'm not there watching, so you could be right.

I know, I'm just stating why I went with Intel over AMD since I had room in my budget. I'm curious as to why you didn't do the same, given your gratuitous budget room.

The performance per dollar is much better with a AMD processor on the lower end. Also, I bet you 75% of the people looking at these builds will not want to overclock.

I didn't mean to imply all Core 2 Duos are great overclockers, I meant that, statistically, the Core 2 Duos have a higher overclock potential than the AMD X2s, so overclocking would be more in the favor of a Core 2 Duo, on average.

Again very few people overclock. Besides, without a aftermarket cooler you won't be able to push this CPU much past what the AMD would be able to achieve.

Good point, but in 4 years you probably would want an excuse to get rid of your old mechanical drive and to get a nice cheap solid state drive. :)

I will personally in a year or two, but will the next person? Probably not. Even if they do get another hard drive, they'll still want their other one to function. Just because there is something newer out doesn't suggest that you need to buy it. My parents have a 7 year old computer, haven't upgraded it once in that time period. I know that we are not alone.

All true, but there is a greater chance that you will receive your rebate than not. Think about it, if less than half of people got a rebate and for ridiculous reasons, there would be way too much backlash for companies to keep offering them. As long as you comply with the conditions of the rebate, it is very likely that you will receive the rebate.

Actually it's quite the opposite. Mail in rebates are disappearing all over canada because so few people get them and many more don't even want to be bothered. To assume that you're going to get that money isn't wise and you should never base you budget knowing that you're going to get a rebate in return. For the two rebates I have had to date, I have needed to be on the company's butt the entire time, it took 26 weeks to get one of the two. By the end of it, it really wasn't worth my time.

James

Edited by james_8970, 03 February 2008 - 03:12 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
To everyone: Version 2 is released! Main changes are a better case and a more reliable PSU. Let me know your thoughts.

Your looking at spending $150+ on the tools, you might as well just get a new PSU instead of the equipment to verify this. As for the ripple, while SLI will increase the ripple, it'll still be very bad without it. Also, that PSU is just as bad as I make it out to be, you might as well get a Dell PSU and plop it in there. That thing is atrocious and to be honest, I haven't seen a detailed review that bad on any PSU.

It did get a 2.5/5 in the review you are referencing and an 8.4/10 in the one I linked to, so that isn't too bad. But you leave me and my beautiful modular PSU alone now. I changed the PSU in Version 2 to make everyone happy. :)

The performance per dollar is much better with a AMD processor on the lower end.

That is debatable. But nevertheless, my thought is if you are looking to get the best performance out of $1000, why not go for a better CPU even if it is a little bit less cost effective if you have the room for it in your budget?

Also, I bet you 75% of the people looking at these builds will not want to overclock.

Again, gamers and those who are willing to build their own PCs are much more likely than the average computer user to overclock. But even when not overclocked, this CPU offers superior performance.

Again very few people overclock. Besides, without a aftermarket cooler you won't be able to push this CPU much past what the AMD would be able to achieve.

See above. Also, many people have been able to successfully been able to push this chip to 3ghz on stock voltage and stock HSF. With an AMD X2, you are lucky to squeeze more than 200mhz out of it.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

It did get a 2.5/5 in the review you are referencing and an 8.4/10 in the one I linked to, so that isn't too bad. But you leave me and my beautiful modular PSU alone now. I changed the PSU in Version 2 to make everyone happy.

50% isn't bad? The guy that gave that PSU a 84% based his opinion more on the looks for the thing then the actual PSU. I'll say it one more time, that thing is terrible.

Again, gamers and those who are willing to build their own PCs are much more likely than the average computer user to overclock. But even when not overclocked, this CPU offers superior performance.

Without a heatsink you are not going to be able to push this CPU much further then a AMD processor. A AMD processor has better performance for your dollar, if they didn't, why would anyone buy one?

With an AMD X2, you are lucky to squeeze more than 200mhz out of it.

AMD's are worse overclockers, there is no denying that, but you're making it worse then what it actually is.

Much more likely yes, does that mean more then 50% of the people will do it? No. You cannot make a build assuming people will overclock unless it's exclusively aimed at that purpose, in which case a buyer should be notified of this.

The build looks much better now then it did, I'd design it differently, but that's what makes things interesting. Though the issues still stands with rebates. You'd have to update that list daily or it'll become out of date budget wise. This is one of the reasons why we don't have rebates in our build, that and you are never guaranteed the money.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 February 2008 - 01:54 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hey guys nice to see you guys brought this back up I remember I made a topic like this before but it failed to get attention, lol. Anyways a lot has happened since I left nice to see some of you becoming tech you certainly deserve it! :). One thing about these builds people have is that everyone of them is for a different purpose, for example if they are gamers they will need a better video card than a CPU or if they don't game as much but are more into programming and testing then a more powerful CPU is needed, so it all depends what they need this build for, that way they can push the budget towards something thats more important in their build. Besides all that the builds look fine, however as James already said we need to keep this updated. Hope we can keep up with all the new stuff coming out, lol.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 01 March 2008 - 10:19 PM.