Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Powers Down when running World of Warcraft

• Please log in to reply

girlgamer

girlgamer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is my first time posting on a forum about the problems I've experienced recently with my Alienware Area-51 M7700 Laptop. So bear with me.

I've experienced all the same problems as other M7700 owners, overheating, hot to the touch video card fan, etc. I've removed the thermal tape (or lack thereof) and replaced it with thermal paste (on both the video card fan and the CPU), and I have a nifty little 3M stand to elevate the laptop so air is constantly getting into the video card fan.

My problem is this:

I play World of Warcarft and within the last 2 to 3 weeks my computer completely shuts down within 2 seconds of the log in screen loading, we're talking I can't even get the first digit of my password typed. I won't proclaim myself as a computer guru, because I'm not, but I do know my fair share.

Through trouble shooting of my own devices (especially since Alienware Tech Support isn't worth the f&*n paper its written on), what I've found is the laptop shuts down (when the log in WoW screen appears)when the power supply is plugged in, BUT if I unplug the A/C adaptor from the power supply leaving the power supply plugged into the laptop I can run WoW on my battery (with minimal performance loss) for about 45 minutes. BUT if I plug the A/C adaptor into the power supply while running off battery power the laptop then shuts off. :)

HELP ME PLEASE!!!! I have no idea what to do or what the problem could be. My boyfriend says its the video card, but I'm not totally convinced thats the problem since I can run WoW off of the battery. I think I need to replace either the Power supply or the video card fan. What do you think? :)

My next question is this:

The number on my video card fan is 31-D90TN-204. I found a website called www.laptoprepairco.com and they have the same exact fan but the part number is 31-D90TN-206 and the alternate part number they list is 31-D90TN-205. I can't seem to find anything that would lead me to believe I couldn't use this fan on my laptop. Looking at the picture that shows both sides of the fan it looks EXACTLY like the one I have currently installed on my machine.

The link to the fan I'm looking at is:

http://www.laptoprep....7&category=fan

One last question...what is GPU and more importantly what is PCI E-bus???? Okay, maybe that's two questions. I ask because I tried running the stability test (found in my Nvidia Control Panel), the CPU and memory passed, but when it got to the PCI E-bus (started running graphics) the laptop shutdown. I've noticed my computer shuts down while running WoW when my HDD temp gets to be around 41 degrees Celcius. I'm not sure when exactly this happened or what it means but this is just a little bit of what the report showed.

Any and all help you could provide me would be great. It really sucks I sunk $3,249 into a laptop that 2 1/2 years later won't do what I bought it for. I also don't have the cash on hand to go out and buy a desktop or send the laptop out for servicing. :)

Thanks,
Traci

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Sorry you haven't gotten any replies. This really should have been moved to the hw forum.

you can try replacing the fan. That may help or it may not.