Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting up into DOS

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Hey. First, here's my system specs:

Processor - 3.4GHz Pentium D
Video Card - XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog
Motherboard - abit IP35-PRO
Memory - 2x1gb DDR2 PC6400 Corsair Micro 800MHz Dual Channel
Power Supply - Corsair HX-620W
Harddrive - Samsung 200gb PATA
DVD burner - ASUS PATA

Okay, my problem. I just got heaps of new hardware (everything but processor, dvd burner and HDD). I've been having all sorts of problems trying to get Windows up though.

I was going to use the 200gb Seagate SATA hdd from my parents old computer (they just bought a new Dell laptop). When I opened up the computer to get it though, it turns out that it had been siliconed in and junk - and I refuse to use tape or silicon or anything in my computer (meaning i'll be buying a new SATA hdd soon). Just for now I really want to get windows up and running on my old PATA, so I can test out the video card and stuff before I miss my chance to return them.

My motherboard has 6 SATAII ports, but only a single PATA. I am running my HDD and dvd off of this, with the dvd in slave, hdd in master. I booted up with a Ubunut 7.10 live cd and partitioned my hdd using GParted (Linux's partitioning tool). I then formatted the first partition to FAT32 (I'll format the rest later in Windows itself).

So I have my HDD in about 5 partitions, with one (15gb) formatted to FAT32. Problem now is that when I put in my DOS boot cd, or just my 98SE boot cd (to get to DOS) I get an error. With the DOS boot cd, I get this.

CD-ROM Device Driver for IDE (Four Channels Supported)
©Copyright Oak Technology Inc. 1993-1996
Driver Version : V340
Device Name : BANANA
No Drives found, aborting installtion

Device driver not found: 'BANANA'.
No valid CDROM device drivers selected.

When I try to start the Windows 98SE install I get this

Device driver not found: 'OEMCD001'
No valid CDROM device drivers selected

The Windows 98 setup files were not found.

So i'm presuming It's a problem with my cd drive. The odd part about it is that when I put in the 98SE install, it goes through the install, and I get to the DOS screen. I have access to the A: here, where the temp files are stored (right?) But I cannot access the H: (which should be my dvd burnder c,d,e,f,g are all different partitions).

I need to be able to boot up into DOS, then switch to my XP Professional cd and start the winnt.exe file.
But I can't get access to the dvd's drive :). Is this because the dvd drive is in the slave? will putting it in master help? I'm planning on buying a new SATA hdd and a new SATA cd-rom, but I really need to get this system up and running as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,
Seltox.

Advertisements