Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EEK EEEK AH?

• Please log in to reply

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
this isn't in my other topic because its completely different.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was shifting some things around in my case and I took off the CPU heat sink housing to get at the wires behind it.

While I was moving the case around, the HS fell off!!!!

I put it back on but is this going to cause any problems? like the thermal compound not working or something?

any help would be wonderful

Advertisements

Storman

Storman

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

I put it back on but is this going to cause any problems? like the thermal compound not working or something?

It would have been best to clean up both surfaces and reapply some more thermal compound but to be honest I find this a contentious issue. Some would say meticulously clean the surfaces and reapply new thermal compond, others would say just clip the thing back on !

In the past I've done both and to be honest I can't see any difference in both practices. However, to ensure the best possible contact between the heat sink and the processor, thereby obtaining optimal thermal transfer, it would have been best to clean it up and apply some new compound. That would be your safest option.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
alright thanks. ill be sure to buy some of the stuff from the egg.

on cleaning the CPU, should i take it out of its socket of just leave it in there to clean?

~~~~

hey, was wondering what PSU i should get? i want a 450w.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817101030 this any good?

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 02 February 2008 - 10:59 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
To clean the CPU, I would leave it in the socket and use some ArctiClean (available at newegg) to clean it. For thermal compound, I would recommend Arctic Cooling MX-2.

For a PSU, the one you picked is not a good choice. I would go with this one.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
OMG. that PSU is SO expensive. I really cant support it right now with my budget. I'm looking at somewhere around $30 dollars to $40

:)

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 02 February 2008 - 11:46 AM.