Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Undetectable install?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

gelo

gelo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
How can I install a program without it being listed in the "Add or Remove Programs" list? The reason is that my dad is REALLY tight and doesn't like me installing programs on his computer..don't ask me why.

So I was thinking maybe I COULD install stuff but just not let it be shown in the "Add or Remove Programs" list because that's the way he finds out if i've installed junk.

Is there a way?

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
This page has instructions for the task at hand:

http://www.softwaret...read.php?t=2165

Good luck.

javiergil

javiergil

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
lol this is a great post, does this work and hide it from Programs files?

gelo

gelo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks so much !!! if this works..omg..:tazz:))))

gelo

gelo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well i've been able to hide programs (using help from http://www.kellys-ko...p.com/xp_a.htm) except for one program...MSN messenger 7.0

i've installed it but cannot find a way to hide it..

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

They may not be showing in the Ad/Remove area, but what about plain old Start>Programs??

Better hope your dad doesn't come on here asking how to lock you out.. Would be fun telloing him how to lock you out of installing junk on HIS system !! :tazz:

Murray

gelo

gelo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
=) lol no no i delete them from start>programs too..so does anybody know how to hide msn messenger 7.0 from the add/remove programs list?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am...uncomfortable with this thread.

As much as I respect the desire to want to install programs, I think it is unwise that we are helping a child (I don't mean this in a derogatory way), to get around a parent's right to control that child's access to a computer. Not to mention the computer is not even his/hers, but the parents

There can be many reasons for this, not the least of which is the dangers of Internet chatrooms for young adults.

gelo, if I may impart some advice.

Sit down and have a discussion with dad. Explain to him what programs you want to install and why. Show the positive aspects. Give your father the chance to surprise you.