Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ram slot problem

• Please log in to reply

mrbeast

mrbeast

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a dell 2100 dimension desktop pc. It has 2 slots for ram on the motherboard. I broke one of the slots beyond repair unless it is replaced. I can't find anybody that will replace it.
I can only have 512MB max (256+256). I tried to put a 512 MB in the one slot and it will not work.
Is there a way that I can trick the comp. into accepting 512MB in the one slot instead of using 2?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Unfortunately, no. I don't think the damaged slot could be repaired. I'm surprised your motherboard is still working. If you want to use more RAM, the only solution would be to buy a new motherboard.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you just broke the plastic surround for the slot those can sometimes be removed and replaced. But you have to remove the motherboard. They are generally just pushed into the board and you can push them out underneath.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I agree with stettybet0.

here are some options

1.) build a new computer
2.) keep current gear, get new Mobo
3.) buy a new computer.
4.) live with 256mb ram (ZOMG)

taken that you only have 512mb ram, I would think that all your other gear is pretty outdated too.

i suggest building a new computer. its cheaper than buying a computer(90% of times), and you can avoid crap proprietary !#@%.

mrbeast

mrbeast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Unfortunately, no. I don't think the damaged slot could be repaired. I'm surprised your motherboard is still working. If you want to use more RAM, the only solution would be to buy a new motherboard.
I still have 1 good slot.

If you just broke the plastic surround for the slot those can sometimes be removed and replaced. But you have to remove the motherboard. They are generally just pushed into the board and you can push them out underneath.
Yes it is the black part that the pins go into that broke a 1/4 inch piece broke off and the clip holder is gone also.
Thank you for the information.

mrbeast

mrbeast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Geek in Training

Group: GeekU Freshman
Member No.: 186,775
Operating System:
Windows XP home edition SP2

I agree with stettybet0.

here are some options

1.) build a new computer
2.) keep current gear, get new Mobo
3.) buy a new computer.
4.) live with 256mb ram (ZOMG)

taken that you only have 512mb ram, I would think that all your other gear is pretty outdated too.

i suggest building a new computer. its cheaper than buying a computer(90% of times), and you can avoid crap proprietary !#@%.

Ya it is old I have had this puter for 6/7 yrs now. I am considering building a new one just don't have the money right now.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
^ah...

but ur quotes in quote bars!

u know. if you arnt looking to do high end gaming. and if you already have a monitor.

you can get a OK computer with Core 2 duo at around $500 bucks

Yes, it may get out dated in a few years (gaming wise) . But looking at your current set up, you probably dont do much gaming anyways.

heres a mighty fine comp for a low price

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1195599475252
http://www.bestbuy.c...9#productdetail

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 02 February 2008 - 06:44 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
http://www.bestbuy.c...8#productdetail
this one spectacular!

=============================
EDIT:
sorry for the double post.

clicked wrong button

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 02 February 2008 - 06:46 PM.

mrbeast

mrbeast

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks U can close this post now.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
one last thing..

DONT BUY THOSE 2 COMPUTERS THAT I POSTED UP TOP

if ur gonna buy any of them, buy the 3rd one.

i read the reviews about the top 2 and they are CRAP.

good luck on ur computer problem!