Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

DVD codec error

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Not sure if this is in the correct forum but here goes.

PC is able to read CD's able to burn CD's able to Burn DVD's but unable to play DVD's
I have replaced both the dvd burner and dvd rom have reinstalles OS ( Win xp pro sp1)
have uninstalled and reinstalled Power DVD , Sonic , Win Media Player 10, and NERO.

Each function properly but each time I try to play a dvd I get and error message to the effect that it does not find the DVD .. InterActual tells me that it is a CSS error and I have followed the instruction to fix that to no avail .

The motherboard cpu ram everthing except the hard drive has been swaped out on this system. Other than doing an fdisk and clean install of OS I'm lost as what to do .......

Oh yeah I'm about to replace the vid card and see if that helps.....

HELP nay suggestions ? :tazz:

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Were you able to play DVD's at some point and then this feature stopped abruptly or have you never been able to play DVD's on your PC? To tell you the truth, I've never had any luck with that InterActual software. If I put in a DVD with that software, I ALWAYS stop the installation.

DVD playback requires that you have a third-party DVD decoder installed on your computer. To determine if a third-party DVD decoder is installed, click Start, click Run, type dvdupgrd/detect in the Open box, and then click OK.

You'll see a list of decoders (MPEG-2). If you have more than one decoder in the list, try removing all but one of them. If you don't have a decoder in the list, you will have to download one. I don't know of a place that has them for free, but I have several friends who use this $15 program:

After installing the codec, you should be able to watch movies within Windows Media Pleyer. This doesn't sound like a hardware issue and I can guarantee it has nothing to do with your video card. Don't replace the video card thinking it will help you solve this problem. Get the codec's straightened out and let us know what happens from there.

Good luck.