Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring Data from Old Computer to New Computer

• Please log in to reply

Sandra53

Sandra53

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well Christmas has passed and some of us got new computers. After asking around several businesses and websites I can't seem to get a straight answer. All I want to know is what do I use to transfer data from my old computer that has Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 to my new computer that has Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. Will not be networking the two computers at all. Tried the Belkin Easy Transfer USB cable for VISTA but that didn't work at all after being told I wouldn't have any problems (couldn't get a voice to actually tell me how to do it if it indeed can work). Anyway what kind of cable do I need and where to plug it in both computers. Sorry I'm not a geek but how I wish I was!!!! Thank you so much. :)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There are a number of ways to transfer your data.

1: Use an external storage device such as as a usb pen flash memory (or whatever it's called) or a usb external hard disk. Copy the data to be transfered from the old computer into the device, move it to the new computer and paste it there.

2: Take out the hard disk from the old computer and connect it to the new one. If it's an IDE drive (a broad cable connect it to the motherboard) then attach it to the new computer as slave. This will make sure that the new computer will not try to boot from the old disk. Copy the data and paste it to the new computer. You may consider leaving the old disk permanently in the new computer. This will give you extra storage volume and may be used as a backup.

3: You can buy a cross-over lan cable and connect the ende to the lan cards of the two computers (you must disconnect the present connection to your modem or router to enable this connection). You have to create a "Small Home or Office Network". This will create a network of the two computers. Each will have the same network's name (e.g Home, User or whatever) and each computer will have a different name. Sharing documents should be enabled. Now you can transfer data from the old computer into the shared folder on the new one, and from there copy and paste it to wherever you decide.

4: If the data you have to move is very limited you can attach it to a mail that you send to yourself from the old computer. Downloade the mail in your new computer and move the files to wherever you like.