Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless problems

• Please log in to reply

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I have a 2700HG-D Gateway and I have 3 devices connected via ethernet and quite a few devices I want to connect wirelessly. Out of nowhere I started getting this problem on the wireless devices that they aren't getting assigned an ip address (DHCP problem) This problem is causing me to pull my hair out cause sometimes I can get one computer to work on it and other times I get all but one then if I get the other to work then the others stop working it's driving crazy. and to be honest I have no idea how I get them to work I just mess with stuff until they do. (when I say mess with stuff I don't mean the settings on the router.)
both Ethernet computers are running Vista (one 32bit and one 64 bit)
all wireless computers are running updated versions of XP
these are my current wireless settings, let me know if you need more info to help me out
channel: 2422 MHz
SSID broadcast enabled
open WEP security
DTIM Period:1 second
max connection rate:54Mbps
DHCP enabled
dhcp lease time 24 hours
Router Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Range: 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254

Advertisements

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
update: I called the nightmarish [bleep] that is qwest tech support and all they could tell me was my modem sucks at assigning ip addresses. (why the [bleep] did you give it to me and tell me it worked great for multiple wireless computers?) anyways so I when into TCP/IP settings for the connection and tried manually assigning ip addresses to the wireless computers. well they connected to the network and it said the connection was excellent and working and everything but I can't access the internet or even the modem homepage. it just says unable to connect and doesn't go anywhere. and if I get on the modem homepage via a wired computer it doesn't show any of the wireless computers on the devices list even though they claim to be connected! guess what the qwest tech told me "all 3 of your laptops are having a problem and you need to contact, asus, hp, and compaq and discuss the problem with them sir" ...........................GYARRRRRRRRRRRR I can't handle anymore qwest calls I think I might hunt down and kill the person on the other end of the line PLEASE HELP!

also if anyone has dealt with both companies, is comcast any better with customer support? or at least tell me if they don't flat out argue with you about whether or not you power cycled your modem in the last 24 hours.

Edited by pr0n, 03 February 2008 - 03:43 PM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
What would be the possibility of just letting their router deal with the public IP and put a retail router on your side of theirs. That way you would be able to connect anything you want to a netgear, dlink, or linksys or whatever kind you buy. Then the troubleshooting will be easier cause you dont have to deal with Qwest and I know that many people can help you here with a off the shelf router.

Just an idea :)

PS Internet Service Provider

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
update
So I reset the modem to factory defaults and wireless and everything works perfectly fine on all computers, and devices until I enable wireless security (128 bit WEP key), then all of a sudden none of the wireless devices are getting assigned IPs and the DHCP assigns some crazy random IP that's not even in the DHCP range for a minutes (which doesn't work) and then the computer realizes it didn't receive a real ip and just disconnects. The modem used to work perfectly fine with the security and then just started deteriorating, is that normal, is something wrong? is there a way to fix it? please help there are script kiddies in the neighborhood and I do business and have very sensitive files that need to be shared over this wireless connection, so some sort of encryption would be very nice to have.

anyone?
and BTW I can't use another router off the shelf because I need to use port forwarding and this particular modem will only port forward to the name of a device rather than the IP (to accommodate dynamic IPs) and once you put a router between it and the computer it can no longer forward to the computer.... That's what I've read anyway, I can try throwing one on and seeing what happens I'll let you know.

Edited by pr0n, 06 February 2008 - 01:00 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
The 2wire 2700hg has some known issues. They have a weak protection circuit that that will blow and leave the device useless. It also has some firmware issues that cause what you are describing especially with Vista. Have you updated the firmware? the latest version from 2Wire is supposed to fix the Vista compatibility issue. If your ISP warranties the unit see if they will replace it with the 2701HG which is a much sturdier device.

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
ah thank you, supposedly qwest updates the firmware automatically atleast that's what 2wire told me(there's no option in the modem UI) I guess I'll blow out some ears at qwest and try to get one of those 2701. either that or switch to comcast :) thanks

mark it as resolved gentlement

Edited by pr0n, 08 February 2008 - 03:42 PM.