Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help on building a new system

• Please log in to reply

akex

akex

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, I am somewhat new to PC building. I Have upgraded my own computer a few times and am familiar with what piece goes where and how to do it but one thing I am not clear on is component compatibility. Because I am trying to buy each component separately for my new computer I feel like I need someone to take a look at my choices and tell me if they have any suggestions or comments on what pieces I should be looking at. So far, this is my practice component list.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-DS4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card -

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6400CZBOX -

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4

HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725032GLA360 (0A35411) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Keep in mind that this is just a "rough draft" and what i'm really looking for is someone to tell me if I am on the right track or if i'm missing something. This is just a practice build for me and

I didn't include a monitor, keyboard, mouse, sound card, disk drives, ether net card, heatsinks/fans, or power supply in this list. This just lists the stuff that i don't feel I know enough about to make a decision.

Thanks a lot, if anyone needs more information just ask, or i can always e-mail it to you. I made it on newegg.com.

Edited by akex, 02 February 2008 - 01:46 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
At that price range you are looking at Intel has much better choices. The 6400+ black edition does not come with a HSF. The Intel e6750 for the same price performs considerably better than the 6400+.

Ethernet and sound are built into MOBOs these days and will not require a seperate card.

akex

akex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
So, it looks like i've got a few things to learn. I may just look at what some of the other people here are building and take a leaf out of their book.