Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupted registry boondoggle

• Please log in to reply

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes,35 mins remaining-

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you using a USB keyboard and mouse? Do you have any other external hardware connected to the machine?

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have an USB mouse, keyboard is regular plug. Other than speakers, no other external items

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have a PS2 mouse that you might try? In any case, disconnect the USB mouse and see if it will continue. You may have to restart the repair if it doesn't, if you do, either use a PS2 mouse or leave just the keyboard connected. It should try to run the repair from where it left off.

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I just went to unplug themouse and found my wife had swiitched mice as she needed the usb for her laptop. I've had a ps2 in all along. I unplugged both the keyboard and the mouse, but it hasn't moved from the 35 min mark. I asume my only option is to restart the repair- how do I do this?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You just power the machine off and turn it back on. You may have to hold the power button in for about 5 seconds to do this.

Let's run a memory test on the machine before you continue with the install. Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and create the disk as outlined in the Quick Start Information on the download page. Boot your machine using this disk instead of the XP disk and let it run at least four complete passes. (to quit the test, remove the disk and press the X key...or shut the machine off).

Let me know if you see any failures (they should show up in red).

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK-I will run the test-

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
4 passes and no errors shown. Shall I try the repair again? if so should I leave the ps2 mouse off? should I put the usb mouse on? Thanks again for your help-

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The hang you encountered is almost always a hardware hang. Usually using a PS2 gets past it. A bad RAM module can also hang you up at that point.

Do you have a USB keyboard around that you can use? I ask this as if you don't use any keyboard and mouse to get past the hang, you can just plug in the usb hardware to keep moving...with PS2, you have to restart to get them detected. If you have a USB keyboard and mouse you can use, try the insstall with nothing connected and plug the usb hardware in after you get past the hang.

If that's what's causing the hang, it should move forward...if not, we'll look at other hardware for the problem.

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
By freak chace I do have a usb keyboard available. I will unplug all and try to get by hangup then plug usb devices in-

Advertisements

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hung up at 35 minutes again (nothing plugged in). I'll wait for your instructions

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How much memory do you have installed? If you have more than one RAM module installed, try removing one module and try the install again, using the PS2 keyboard and mouse.

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I upgraded my ram in the fall. I have 2- 256 modules and 2- 128 modules. Should I remove the 2 upgrade (256) modules?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Leave just a single 256MB stick in there and try it.

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Removed 3 modules. I get a series of beeps and machine won't boot