Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupted registry boondoggle

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Make sure it's seated good or try a different module. We may have just hit on the problem.

Advertisements

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I tried each of the 4 as single modules and all 4 returned the beeps, tried sigle modules at the other end (asuming one slot is a primary) but still got beeps. tried 2 256 modules then 2 128 modules (I remember reading something about matched pairs) but all returned the beeps. The more I thought about the match pair issue I remembered there were 2 "blanks" in the empty slots. I returned the set up to the original- 2- 128 modules and 2 blanks (one module and 2 blanks didn't work) this set up workede but I'm at the 35 min mark and hung up again. Unfortunately I have to go to work and between this job and my regular job tomorrow, the next time I'll be able to troubleshoot is tomorrow after 7pm eastern time. I'll check this post tonight when I get home as well. I do appreciate your help and hope we can find an answer tomorrow. thanks-

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you added any other devices since the original configuration? Video card, sound card, etc..?

Do you have more than one internal HDD connected?

What's the make and model number of the machine?

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello= Heading home from work now sick as a dog- the virus must have left my computer and bonded with me. Will have to pick this up after fever and chills subside-
regards-
Brian

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Recliner, fuzzy slippers, B&B on the rocks and you'll be back in no time :)

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Fever broke I'm back. My machine is a Dell Dimension Model 8200. I only have one hard drive I've added nothing other than the ram upgrade. The machine came with 2 cd drives (one CDR and one CDRW) and a floppy drive. What next?

Edited by bdada, 05 February 2008 - 09:13 PM.

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK, I unhooked everything from the computer (including a printer). I opened the box and removed every drive. I vacumed every part, every inch I coud reach. I treated it as if it were a sentient being hoping my acts of kindness would be compensated with cooperation. I hooked everything (except the printer, mouse, and phone lines) back up, crossed my fingers and pressed the start button. I learned it isn't a sentient being, but a cold machine, with a grudge. It started the repair of windows again, and hung up again at the "35 minutes left" mark. If anyone can offer any ideas as to what I could do to get through this repair, I'd be eternally grateful. In the meantime, I'm going to hurry up and wait. Yep.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Two possibilities come to mind for the 35 minute hang.

1. The CD is defective
2. The CD drive is defective

You could try installing from your hard drive by copying the I386 directory tree to your hard drive then install from there. See this MS article for complete directions: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;315349

Doing this will accomplish two things. It will validate the XP CD (if it all copies then it's probably okay) and will remove your dependency on the CD drive during the install process.

Worth a try anyway I think.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I had this same problem about 6 years ago on a system I was building...the workaround was to go in the bios and disable just about everything to get it to install...you could also try unplugging any pci cards...if you have 2 cd drives...disconnect the second cd/dvd drive..

here is another thing to try...go here...for the lowdown..
examine the Setup log files for anything that may indicate what may be causing the problem. For example, examine the logs for any one of the following entries:
• Error messages - continue troubleshooting according to the specific error messages.
• Examine Setupapi.log for the last device that was installed. This may indicate a problem with that particular hardware device or driver.
• Examine the logs for indications that optional components are failing to install.
Note The Setup log files are located in the Windows folder with file names that use the following format:
Setup*.*

Edited by happyrck, 07 February 2008 - 08:17 AM.

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for responding guys-
I will try everything suggested I can until something works or I have another question. I will let you know if I am successful.

Advertisements

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello I visually checked the install CD for any smudges etc- it is a brand new cd out of a sealed packet- it looked good. I put it in my other drive to eliminate the bad drive possibility. I disconnected my modem andnetwork pci and disconnected the extra cd drive . I went into setup and turned off the floppy, and the 2nd CD drive. I ran the cd repair again and it again hung up at the 35 min mark. I read the article that discusses setup not responding it Says: If you are installing a version of Windows XP before Service Pack 1 (SP1), and you did not receive or click the Yes, download the updated Setup files (Recommended) option in the Get Updated Setup Files dialog box during Setup, press SHIFT+F10, and then Xcopy User~tmp.@01 to another location. I checked my installation CD and did not see any mention of SP1 so this seems like a logical repair. My question is : how do you Xcopy User~tmp.@01 to another location- how do you know what location? do you rename the file? If someone could give me a step by step instruction I'd be grateful. I know there is/was a temp folder on the C drive- would that be a good copy location? Thanks- Or, should I be trying something completely different?

Edited by bdada, 08 February 2008 - 05:00 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try creating a new XP CD slipstreamed with SP2, then this problem (if it is this problem) will not exist.

The simplest way to create a Bootable Windows XP Pro or Home Installation CD Slipstreamed with SP2 is to use Autostreamer. You point to your XP Pro/Home CD, the SP2 Service Pack .exe file, give it a path to write the .iso file to and off it goes. In 5 or 10 minutes you have a .iso file that you can burn to CD with almost any CD burner program you want to use. I used Roxio 7. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this also.

Here is the link to Autostreamer:
http://www.softpedia...ostreamer.shtml

You can download the SP2 .exe here:
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
started downloading sp2- 15 hours to go- gotta love dial up. Thanks again for the direction, I'll let you know how it turns out-

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you would be better off having one of your friends on broadband download and burn it for you...

dial up....I feel the pain... :)

bdada

bdada

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Tried to auto stream but wouldn't work. Downloaded it several times tried it on different computers, but couldn't get past second screen (would not give me a "next" button) didn't seem to respond to my installation CD- it would select the drive but leave a red X on that step. Tried copying the CD to the hard drive and point to it there but still wouldn't work. My cd is a Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. It is Brand new out of a sealed packet. The surface looks fine. Can this repair be hanging because of a bad reinstallation CD? I seem to hit blank walls no matter what path I take. getting extremely discouraged. If anyone knows of any other miracles I could try , I'd appreciate it.