Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP/Internet Explorer/Instant Messenger Issues...

• Please log in to reply

UniversalGC

UniversalGC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
At startup i get an error message from apoint.exe that says "unable to load apoint.dll." I can't run Internet Explorer or Instant Messenger, and I don't know how to fix it. All other browsers work fine, but I really need to get IE and AIM up and running again for work purposes. I've tried restoring my computer multiple times to dates in the past and it doesn't work. I've also scanned for spyware and viruses and repaired all problems detected.

Can anyone help?

Advertisements

vorybory

vorybory

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi Universal :)

Have you tried reinstalling both Internet Explorer and your Instant Messaging program to see if it would take away the error message at startup?

UniversalGC

UniversalGC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi Universal :)

Have you tried reinstalling both Internet Explorer and your Instant Messaging program to see if it would take away the error message at startup?

I did so with Internet Explorer but not AIM. It didn't change anything. The error message still pops up at startup and new version of IE still won't open.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
From Processlist.com:

Apoint.dll (Alps Pointing-device Driver) is a component from the software Alps Pointing-device Driver version 5.5.252 by Alps Electric Co., Ltd.. Apoint.dll version 5.5.252 has a file size of 1,122,304 bytes, and is most commonly found under the directory "Apoint" with a creation date of August 30, 2005. This is not a known spyware, adware, or trojan component.

So it sounds like the touch pad driver on your laptop is corrupted. Open Device Manager and expand the Mouse and other Pointing Devices tree and delete the touch pad. Shutdown and reboot and let XP rediscover it and reload the driver.

It would be a good idea to have an external mouse connected when you do this in case there are problems and you have to download and install the latest Alps driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site if XP doesn't handle the driver reload correctly.