Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

20 gig harddrive

• Please log in to reply

mizark70

mizark70

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have a Western Digitial 20 gig harddrive that i got used. When i hooked the hard drive up it will only show 1.97 gig. Has anybody had this problem or know how to fix it? Thanks for the help

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I sounds like the drive isn't partitioned or formatted. Where are you checking the compacity of the drive?

mizark70

mizark70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I just plugged it in and went to my computer and then clicked on the new hard drive and it will show 1.97.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the drive has been formatted FAT16 (if you right-click on it in My Computer and choose Properties it'll tell you the file system which is what we want) then FAT16 drives could only be formatted 2Gb, and if you wanted to use more than that, you'd need extra partitions, 2Gb at a time. This was the norm in Windows 95 days.

Edited by Neil Jones, 03 February 2008 - 03:56 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Also check to see if there is a jumper on the drive that limits the size.

mizark70

mizark70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Neil Jones- the file system is NTFS

123 runner- what should i be looking for? Sorry, i know very little about adding new harddrives to a computer.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Follow these steps:

Right click on My Computer and select "Manage"

From the computer management screen select "Disk Manager" on the right

Now you should see a list of all your drives. Under the new one you should see 1.7GB under whichever drive letter that drive has partitioned

To the right of that should say unpartitioned space. If this is correct then you should be able to right click this unpartitioned space and select partition. This will allow you to now use that space. You may want to completly format the drive though.

Here is where you can check the jumper setting:

Posted Image

If it is the only thing on the IDE cable then you will want to set it to "master". If it is the second HDD on the IDE cable then you will want it set to slave. If it is on the same IDE cable as a CD drive then it should be set to master.

Edited by Titan8990, 03 February 2008 - 11:20 AM.

mizark70

mizark70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Titan, i got the rest to partion. Thanks for your help, you guys are great.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Happy to help :).