Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I have an XFX 680i LT SLI motherboard. Right now the Front Side Bus is 800Mhz and the RAM is 800MHz. I have an Intel Core 2 duo e4500 @ 2.2 Ghz. I was wondering how to overclock and if I was to raise the Front Side Bus (which is supposed to go far beyond 1333Mhz on my Motherboard) what effect would that have. Also, when you overclock certain things when do you need to increase voltage? Thanks.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Do a lot of research before attempting to do this. You can easily ruin your components by overclocking.

Whenever you raise the FSB the speed of the CPU and the speed of RAM will increase. This can be changed only with the 680i and 780i chipsets. Any other time the RAM and CPU are both linked to the FSB in ratio. Right now your RAM is a 1:1 ratio with your FSB. I don't have any personal experience with the chipset so I can't tell you exactly how to unlink them.

The best method to OCing is to raise the FSB by say 5mhz at a time. Whenever your system fails to boot then you clear the CMOS and start over only next time slightly bumping your CPU (Vcore) voltatage. Some people raise the voltage on their northbride in order to take strain away from the CPU.

Please do more research than this short explaination.

Edited by Titan8990, 03 February 2008 - 11:34 AM.