Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP won't boot, gives blinking cursor after BIOS loads

• Please log in to reply

stupac2

stupac2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ahh, well too late Ztrucker, already in the middle of it. But if that's the case I very much doubt this will do anything, as I have run fixboot and fixmbr several times. But I'll give a go nonetheless.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if those don't work...puppy DOES NOT need the hard drive to boot..it installs itself into the ram and runs from the ram

the game starts in a half hour so thats it for me today...good luck

Edited by happyrck, 03 February 2008 - 04:33 PM.

stupac2

stupac2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Happyrck, I have some idea of how to do that since my buddy did the same thing with Ubuntu. I'm going to do something to get the drive off of there, but I think I'm just going to slip the HDD into my external enclosure and use another computer to transfer everything to one of my massive externals.

Thanks for the info though.

stupac2

stupac2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Chkdsk/fixboot did nothing, as I expected. I guess it's time for me to call it a day, copy my files to an external, and format this thing.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Happyrck, I have some idea of how to do that since my buddy did the same thing with Ubuntu. I'm going to do something to get the drive off of there, but I think I'm just going to slip the HDD into my external enclosure and use another computer to transfer everything to one of my massive externals.

Thanks for the info though.

it will not hurt to try puppy except the 15 minutes or so to download...burn and throw the cd in the drive and boot it up

Kevin949

Kevin949

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yes yes, I know this is a TERRIBLY old thread and probably not in need of revival, but I've encountered a PC with the same issue as this gentleman and I was looking for some insight. I'm fairly certain the problem does not exist with the hard drive, or any drive. See, if you let the PC sit for about 10 minutes it WILL boot up. Why it takes forever, well I believe it to be a motherboard or bios issue. My reasoning being that it will take that much time (at least on the pc I'm diagnosing) to get into the bios setup. Basically no matter what you press or do, that PC will post and then stick at the blinking cursor screen for 5-10 minutes. Leading me to believe it is the bios.

Any thoughts?