Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crysis and WiC- Which graphic cards to buy?

• Please log in to reply

Mike88

Mike88

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am now building my very own ''gaming'' computer from scratch and only need a good graphic card now. Unfortunately, my dad has given me a budget of (maximum) $200(American). I mainly want to play Crysis and World In Conflict on medium/high settings with not much lag. So what graphic cards could I get from that price budget?
Here are my current Com specs:

CPU: Intel Dual-Core pentium processor at 3.06GHz
RAM: 2GB
Video Card: ( in process )
Storage: 150GB
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c
DirectX:DX9.0c

Advertisements

xucphra

xucphra

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I would suggest a nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX or Ultra.

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Mind giving us the motherboard details?

Mike88

Mike88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't really know what are motherboard details?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for Motherboard name.

Report what it says here.

Mike88

Mike88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Motherboard

CPU type: Intel Pentium 4, 3600MHz (23x157)
Motherboard name: Unknown
Motherboard chipset: Intel Lakeport- G i945G
System memory: 1024MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS type: Award Modular (07/11/06)
Communication port: Communications port (COM1)
Communication port: Printer Port (LPT1)

Mike88

Mike88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I would suggest a nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX or Ultra.

^ the 8800 GTX and Ultra are in the $600-1000 price range which is far beyond my budget. Reminder- my budget is $200(American) and I mostly want to play Crysis and WiC in medium settings

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
You can get an AMD 3870 for 30$ over your budget, thats the best I can think of, trying looking at a website like www.slickdeals.com, have some pretty good deals and you might just see a good graphics card show up for your budget. I would look through AMDs lineup for that budget, not sure if nvidia is too strong in that price range.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What is max wattage and +12v amperage of your power supply? This information can be found on the side of the unit.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i can run crysis on an 8600 GTS low-mid settings, never played WIC though

http://www.overclock.......&subcat=912

i think that is just about your price range

Advertisements

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I would also say 8800 GTX or ultra with nvidia nforce 680i, but you need such a good graphic card for WiC, only for Crysis at Maxed out graphics.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Actually taking into consideration your budget, I would go with the 9600GT which should be released on February 21. It will offer about a 90% performance increase over the 8600GTS someone suggested, and a moderate increase over the HD3850 and even the HD3870 in some cases. It should retail for about $140-$170.

Some performance benchmarks:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also, for those suggesting a 8800GTX or 8800Ultra (disregarding the fact that they are way out of his budget), you should read this to realize how much of a pointless waste of money that would be:

Under Windows Vista on a 680i SLI motherboard with an Intel 3GHz E6850 processor and 2GB RAM, the 9600GT shows plenty of promise even with early drivers (171.16 beta). The SLI 9600GT setup manages to beat the 8800 Ultra under 3DMark06 by quite some margin – 13080 vs. 12142 marks. For reference, a single 9600GT will get you just over the 10k point mark.

Considering the price of the Ultra and what the mid-range 9600GT will probably be, it looks as if Nvidia already have a winner on their hands. Keep in mind the 9600GT is still at least a few weeks away and that will give the driver people at Nvidia even more chance to find tune the driver and suck even more performance out of the card.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
now that sounds nice :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Also, for those suggesting a 8800GTX or 8800Ultra (disregarding the fact that they are way out of his budget), you should read this to realize how much of a pointless waste of money that would be:

Under Windows Vista on a 680i SLI motherboard with an Intel 3GHz E6850 processor and 2GB RAM, the 9600GT shows plenty of promise even with early drivers (171.16 beta). The SLI 9600GT setup manages to beat the 8800 Ultra under 3DMark06 by quite some margin – 13080 vs. 12142 marks. For reference, a single 9600GT will get you just over the 10k point mark.

Considering the price of the Ultra and what the mid-range 9600GT will probably be, it looks as if Nvidia already have a winner on their hands. Keep in mind the 9600GT is still at least a few weeks away and that will give the driver people at Nvidia even more chance to find tune the driver and suck even more performance out of the card.

I buy my GPU for games not to benchmark 3Dmark06. With the introduction of the 8800GTS 512mb, there is no reason to suggest the GTX or ultra.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Psst. See the benchmarks just above that. :)
And yes, I was saying that the 8800GTX and 8800Ultra were bad buys. I was pointing out that they will be even worse buys when two $150 cards can beat them.