Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dial Up Internet Problems (Win XP)

• Please log in to reply

Lord Jaws

Lord Jaws

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello all, I have a problem. For a long while I have used dialup internet on Windows XP without a hitch, now lately Ive had a problem whenever I dial up. As soon as the connection is established, the computer wont load any programs. This includes things like the Control Panel and My Computer > Properties. If I have the Task Manager open before dialling up, it shows that the process for the program has loaded, but no window shows. However, if I go throught all the processes and close off the non-essential ones, sometimes one of them will close that allows all the previously tried-to-open programs and the internet to run normally, ie all the windows show. Disconnecting sometimes works and makes everything go back to normal but more often than not I have to Power off Power on again. One of the possible problem processes is called tcpsvcs.exe (or something very similar) but closing it doesnt always work. I tried System Restore and sent it back quite a while before 2 programs I recently installed (Google Desktop Search and Daemon Tools) but it didnt help. After running scans with Ad-Aware Personal and Grisoft AVG it comes up clean. And the Performance tab doesnt show any abnormally large processor usage.

Can anyone help before I go nuts, any ideas at all would be welcome. :tazz:

Edited by Lord Jaws, 22 April 2005 - 12:18 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Adaware and gisoft are good programs but they don't get everything....

Please visit the forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top

Lord Jaws

Lord Jaws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It appeared to be a Windows problem (whod of thought? :tazz: ) I got a program off this site called Winsock Fix or something and once I ran that the internet was fine. However, it messed up the Security Center and whenever I logged on there would be a huge delay until a warning came up saying the windows firewall was off, then going away (because it was never off) then the computer would load normally. The only way to get rid of that I found was to remove SP2 and now all is well. Now if its possible is there any way to install SP2 from a CD (Acer's CDs they gave me with the system) so I dont have to redownload it through oh-so-slow dialup?

Thanks in advance.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
winsockfix repairs the winsock after the a malware program inserts itself into the tcpip stack...the removal of the malware breaks the stack.

I don't know what the cd you are referring to is...if it is a standalone service pack yes, if it is windows xp with sp2 integrated, no -- but then if it was xp with sp2 integrated, you couldn;t have uninstalled it, so I am confused,

You can however, download the sp2 redistributable file if you know someone with a fast connection, burn it to a cd, and then install it on your system (if that is what you mean)

http://www.softpedia...P-SP2-RTM.shtml

Lord Jaws

Lord Jaws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
There is an .IMG file of SP2 on the disk. It might be integrated, though the way I removed it was through Add/Remove Programs (and checking the Show Updates Box).

I dont know anyone with a fast connection but I should be getting broadband on in a week or 2 so I might just hang out until then.