Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer crashes

• Please log in to reply

Bob of Tsada

Bob of Tsada

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have an ACER Aspire 5612ZWLMi laptop running Windows Vista Home premium. Recently, I have noticed that Windows Explorer always crashes when I attempt to move several files at once. It then restarts itself and a box appears stating:

"Follow the steps in the Knowledge Base (KB) article to solve the problem with Windows Vista

This problem was caused by Windows Vista, which was created by Microsoft Corporation.

Solution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view details about how to fix this problem, click the link under Technical information. This link will take you to a Microsoft Support Knowledge Base (KB) article. Follow the steps in the article to fix your computer problem.

Follow the steps in the Knowledge Base (KB) article to solve the problem with Windows Vista

This problem was caused by Windows Vista, which was created by Microsoft Corporation.

Solution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical Information
Performance and Reliability Pack (KB938979)

To view details about how to fix this problem, click the link under Technical information. This link will take you to a Microsoft Support Knowledge Base (KB) article. Follow the steps in the article to fix your computer problem.

About Microsoft Knowledge Base articles

Some Knowledge Base articles are written for users who are comfortable with advanced troubleshooting. If you are not an advanced user and find this article a bit difficult to use, you might want to ask a professional computer technician to help you solve this problem. "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried several times to install the update after downloading it from the linked URL - everytime it comes up with an error message: "This update does not apply to your system".

Any suggestions?

:)

Advertisements

xucphra

xucphra

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Vista tends to have these kind of problems.
When Explorer restarts; is it fully working? Or do you have to restart your computer?

Bob of Tsada

Bob of Tsada

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for taking an interest. Explorer opens fully, but not to where it was when it crashed.

Bob

xucphra

xucphra

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I see. I would suggest running the startup repair in Vista. That would probably be the easiest solution.

Bob of Tsada

Bob of Tsada

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for that. I will try it when I get home tonight and can access my installation disk.

Bob

Bob of Tsada

Bob of Tsada

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried that and it gave my computer a clean bill of health - it could find nothing wrong with it. Explorer still crashes. However, I can move files by using cut and paste, which is less convenient but at least it works.

So I'm still searching for a proper solution.

Bob