Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

"Nail.exe" and Associates

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I've read alot of back and forth about the nail.exe file reappearing after being deleted and the mysterious 7 letter exe that keeps changing it's name. Apparently there is a relaionship between these two guys but the precise modus operandi continues to evade me. Does anyone know what's driving this? Like who's in charge or anything? It appears to be a rather ingenious method. I've spent the better part of two days on it now. Can't help but wonder how it can be that a program can run so easily on my computer -- I can watch it -- but I have no say so over it running -- didn't give it permission or anything (really) -- but there it goes anyway. Also puzzled why such programs can protect themselves from deletion when I kinda feel like my right to delete should be absolute -- kinda like a constitutional right.

Tried half a dozen virus scanners adware programs and I also downloaded and ran the "Qoolaid tool" -- Dos batch stuff. It didn't solve any problems by the way and ever since I ran it I see a dos window flash briefly on every restart. Don't know what it did or does exactly.

I also have some reason to believe an OS shell file has been vandalized by one of those guys -- or unknown associates.

Seriously though, who's running the show here? Is it the invincible Nail.exe or the chameleon 7 letter file with no name -- or some shadowy figure yet lurking in the background? Forced to run before the relentless pursuit of the police lieutenant obsessed with his capture . . .

Anyone really know?

Richard Kimble, MD