Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply

RickMath

RickMath

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I copied some files from my camera to a new subfolder that was just created. Then modified some of them with Photoshop and saved them. I could see the subfolder and the pictures.

When I reopened the folder that contained the subfolder it was gone. I can find the files using search and photshop can find them. I created a new subfolder found the files in search and tried to copy them to the new subfolder. Closed windows explorer and the new sufolder was there, but no files.

Strangely I have never seen this one before.

Thanks for your help as always. You all have helped me greatly in the past.

Rick :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi RickMath, welcome back. Have you setup Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders?

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)

Edited by Ztruker, 03 February 2008 - 03:49 PM.

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Thanks. I tried all those setttings and still nothing in either folder.

Guess I need to try soemthing else next.

Let me know.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the full path to one of these folders you can't see?

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Thanks

The full path is C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\Pictures\Furniture Pictures\Furniture 2\Rick's Chippendale Stool 1.JPG

I can still find them in Search. but not in Windows explorer or My Computer.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hmmmm, how far down that path can you see in WE? Also, is Compaq_Owner the id you use?

Edited by Ztruker, 03 February 2008 - 10:04 PM.

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I can only see to C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\Pictures\Furniture Pictures

Compaq Owner is the default administative owner. I have not been able to change that. I can see all my other documents.

Thanks for your response.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you running XP Home or XP Pro? If XP Home, try booting to Safe Mode by pressing F5 or F8 every second or so during the early boot phase. Login as Administrator (should be no password, just press Enter when asked for one).

Can you get all the way to Furniture 2 now?

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Thanks. I am running XP Home SP2. I could see all the files when I started in SafeMode. Interestingly there is another folder under Furniture Pictures that I can see in WE.

I had to use MyComputer in SafeMode. MyDocuments did not get to them. Guess that's because I logged on as Administrator.

Where next WIZARD?

:) Rick

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try one more thing for me please. Install ExplorerXP and see if that allows you to navigate the entire folder tree. If yes then it's a problem with Windows Explorer. If no then it's a XP security/file system problem. This will help narrow the focus (I hope!).

You can keep or uninstall ExplorerXP when done testing.

Advertisements

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
:) I can see everything with ExplorerXP. So I guess that narrows the focus.

Thanks!

Next??

Rick

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Two things come to mind. The first is to run System File Checker. This will look at a specific set of system critical files and replace them if they are damaged or missing.

Click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter

If that doesn't fix it, you can do a Repair Install. This installs over the existing XP install and leaves yuour data and most installed programs intact. See here: Repair Install

Both of these require that you have a XP CD.

I'm still researching repairing Windows Explorer. Looking for a list of DLLs that can be re-registered but so far no luck.

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
OK I ran that. No change.

My computer did not come with a Windows CD. It's a Compaq with a restore partition. Probably bad news as most Compaq/HP machines are. Guess I need to contact HP for a CD.

For now ExploreXP is working fine.

I tried to upload one of the pictures using the browse below and it can't see it either. Interesting. ?????

Is there something in the registry that may have gone bad?

Thanks so far for your help. Maybe we can work through this.

Rick

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What type of file system is your disk using, FAT32 or NTFS? It sounds like a permissions issue.

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
The file system is NTFS. Thanks