Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Yep, thats what i thought. I would recommend creating a new user account and migrating all your data to the new account.

Advertisements

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Does anyone have any suggestions? I am still stumped.

Thanks

Rick

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Rick, did you try Cilix's suggestion to create a new account and see if the same problem occurs there.

I still think a repair install is the way to go and it's quite possible the recovery partition on your hard drive will allow a non-destructive repair install.

What is the model number of your Compaq. I may be able to tell you more once I have that info.

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Thanks. I will try the new account and move the data there. Thanks I forgot to check the second page of the post yesterday. I assume you mean to go to the control panel and in users accounts create a new one. I am not sure how to transfer the files after that.

My Compaq Model number is SR2010NX.

I also have Acronis True Image and have a backup that was made before this happened. I will need to make another seperate one to save the data created since this all began.

Also something strange just happened. I opened My Documents and the Furniture 2 folder and files were there. The view was as I left it in the Thumbnail mode.

I then closed My Documents and reopened it. Furniture 2 was gone and the view was in the detail mode. Seems like something is getting confused.

Thanks for continuuing to work on this with me. I will also back up the folder to my flash drive.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
To copy your data from an old account to a new one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Or follow these directions posted here on GeeksToGo previously:

1. Ensure you've added a new user account and that you've logged in using that account at least once - this will create the folder under Documents and Settings
2. Reboot the computer.
3. Login with the new account so the folder structure under Documents and Settings gets created, then log off.
4. Login with an account that is neither the old or the new account. This prevents "file in use" errors while copying. (NOTE: If you don't have another account, you can create a third one or you can boot into Safe Mode and log with the ADMINISTRATOR account.)
5. Browse to c:\documents and settings\OldUserAccount
6. Select everything in that folder except the three files called ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, and ntuser.ini. (These may be hidden files, so if you don't see them, open My Computer, Tools menu, View tab, check "Show Hidden Files/Folders")
7. Copy all those files into c:\documents and settings\NewUserAccount
8. Reboot the computer and login with your New user account.
9. Once you confirm that all your documents are located in My Documents of the New user, you can delete the old profile (And the third account you created in Step #3 if it was needed).

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
:)

Well I created a new administrative user account and found the folder and files and copied them to the new user's My Documents folder. I was able to copy them back to the original user account and now everything seems to be working fine for both accounts. Since I was able to recover the files to the old account I am just keep that account.

Thanks for all your help. I am glad that it was this simple and does not appear that a windows reinstall will be needed.

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Rick

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's good news Rick, thanks for letting me know.