Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe Mode Reboots

• Please log in to reply

old_wrinkly

old_wrinkly

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, first time poster on the forum.

Wonder if anyone can help with the following problem raised with me by my daughter over the phone with her Windows XP Pro.

She used her PC this morning and everything was fine. Came back this afternoon and she got the Sorry For Any Inconvenience Windows Didn't load properly last time, at which point she phoned me.

Went through the process of Safe Mode but it goes through the scrolling text but instead of entering SAFE MODE the system, reboots and goes through the same POST and Windows error message routine. Even tried by pressing F8 during POST but no joy.

She had installed AOL Broadband within the last couple of days but that seemed to be working fine. The only other thing is that because she had had to leave the desktop in the lounge until she sorts out a wireless adaptor so it came be moved back upstairs (her main telephone point is in the lounge) it is within easy reach of her 18 month daughter and when she got home the keyboard was on the floor and her daughter looked at her and said "oops".

Don't know if she did anything but it seems quite likely.

Have gone through all the options I can think off but wondered if I had missed something to try. Have said to my daughter that the only thing I can think of if she can't get into SAFE MODE is for her to come over so I can do a full reinstall.

As I said our conversation is being conducted over the phone which doesn't make things any easier.

If anyone can think of something I can try before the reinstall I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in hope!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello old_wrinkly...

What is the make and model number of her computer? Does she have the XP installation cd that came with it?

There are a number of options we can try, but the first ones to try involve Recovery Console...which we can access using the cd.

wannabe1

old_wrinkly

old_wrinkly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello old_wrinkly...

What is the make and model number of her computer? Does she have the XP installation cd that came with it?

There are a number of options we can try, but the first ones to try involve Recovery Console...which we can access using the cd.

wannabe1

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry don't know if it has an actual name, she bought it s/h from a local computer store about two years ago.

Yes, we do have the XP installtion CD. Was wondering about Recovery Console but it's not something that I've ever tried before so I need some guidance or at the least some links as to where I can find and print off any info.

I assume it will mean having to boot from the CD to access Recovery or is there another way?

She is coming over tomorrow morning so I need to get something fairly quickly if possible.

Thanks

Edited by old_wrinkly, 03 February 2008 - 04:37 PM.

old_wrinkly

old_wrinkly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Pleased to say the repair went off like clockwork. Never tried a Repair Installation before, think I might have got confused with Recovery Consule in the past which is why it never worked.

Thanks for all the help