Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

+++ARE THESE PARTS COMPATIBLE?+++

• Please log in to reply

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

also if i get two dual channel kits do they have to be the same speed? or is it okay to have a 800MHz and a 677MHz?

Make them the same speed.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

also if i get two dual channel kits do they have to be the same speed? or is it okay to have a 800MHz and a 677MHz?

It's always best to run in dual channel mode if you can. Don't mix and match different speeds, as the faster RAM (in this case, the 800MHz) will be slowed down to match the 667MHz. It's best just to grab one kit that's all ready for you to go. I agree with Titan8990's choice, this link.

Is it due to it only being 350W? If so what would be the minimum required to run and high-midrange video card?

A high-quality unit, I would say 600W minimum for a mid-range graphics card, and 700W minimum for a high-end graphics card. Of course, it also depends on how many amps are on the +12V rail(s).

Cheers,

Troy

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
anyone want to answer my last two question? :)

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

make them the same speed

and could i just get 4x1GB or 4x2GB regular DDR2(not dual channel)?

unless you have a 64bit system, you won't be able to see 4gigs. it will only display like 3g or something

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i have yet another question, i've been reading reviews on computer parts and i've been reading on some barebones that they can't get any version of Linux/Ubuntu to work on them, why would this be?