Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access secure server pages [resolved]

• Please log in to reply

Raine Dragon

Raine Dragon

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
So, I had a rather extensive Trojan problem, which I think I may have finally resolved. However, while working on resolving it, I downloaded and installed quite a few anitvirus, antispyware, etc.. applications as well as having to remove some applications whic were infected beyond repair.

I tried to access some https pages, and the pages are out there, I just can't view them, my web browser rejects them. It's not a setting in the browser, because I checked, and the page is not down. (In fact, I tried firefox, ie, and netscape and about half a dozen secure server sites).

I had this issue before after installing an application, and I had to revert my system to a back up to restore it. Unfortunately, this time that's not an option since the only backup is also going to have the issue.

As of right now, I've uninstalled everything new, but I still have no access. I also turned off all security and still can't get in.

I'm at a loss as to how to fix this, and searching the web is no help. Everyone just says "change your browser settings" or "change your firewall settings" which I've already tried to no avail.

The applications that I have had installed and removed are:
hijack this
avast
zone alarm
panda active scan
bazooka anti-spyware
CCleaner

Edited by Raine Dragon, 10 February 2008 - 11:40 AM.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
internet properties-advanced tab

'Reset Internet Explorer settings'

You can also reset advanced settings, but the main one is the first i mentioned

Attached Thumbnails

• ie.png

Raine Dragon

Raine Dragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for your help, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. I tried it again right now, and still, no improvement.

I've already explored the browser settings, reset them, and set them to a variety of suggested settings I found when I searched for other people with this issue, though; I'm not using the same version of I.E. as you are. I keep IE6 on this machine for web development testing purposes. But that is beside the point;
Firefox can't load secure pages.
I.E can't load secure pages.
Netscape can't load secure pages.
Opera can't load secure pages.
Avant can't load secure pages

I can't even get in via Telnet... Though, I'm not sure if Telnet can get into secure pages normally?

I can view normal web pages, and I can FTP secure servers.

I don't think the issue is on the browser level, the browser goes through all the motions and comes back with an 'Unable to connect' error. The help below the error in some browsers tells me either I've got the URL wrong, or have no web connection.

I also know it's not the server on the other end as I have tried many secure sites, some of which I was able to confirm as being online and fine with a call to a friend.

-----
Is there something I can do to repair just this part of windows xp without re-installing the whole OS?

Edited by Raine Dragon, 03 February 2008 - 05:18 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Re-register the security dlls. See here http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread22955.html

Raine Dragon

Raine Dragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
They all re-registered successfully, but it doesn't seem to have solved the issue, either.. I'm sorry >.<

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, read through this MS article. A lot of it is IE specific but there is quite a bit that is not and can be applied to your problem.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;813444

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Are you logged in as administrator?
To check if this is the problem,
boot into safe-mode by tapping f8 while the computer is starting.
Choose safe mode-Administrator.
If they do, create a new account that is an administrator account.
Or if you can, change the account you are using to Administrator.
Not just administrator privileges.

Also, and first, if you are using any kind of web accelerator software.
Disable it and see if that is the problem.

Edited by cmpm, 04 February 2008 - 06:08 AM.

Raine Dragon

Raine Dragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
alright, it's been a bit because I hadn't actually gotten rid of all of the garbage, like I thought, so I was getting help cleaning it up >.<;

So, just so it's clear what I've done and haven't done:

Delete the temporary Internet files (Done)
Configure security, content, and advanced settings in Internet Explorer (Done)
  • Configure the security settings for the Trusted sites zone in Internet Explorer (Done)
  • Clear the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) state and AutoComplete history. (Done)
  • Verify that Internet Explorer is configured to use SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0. (Done)
Verify that the date and time settings on your computer are correct (Done)
Verify that your computer is using 128-bit encryption (Done)
Use System Restore to return your computer to a previous state (Not Done - Last know Backup was compromised with a virus)
Verify the configuration of your third-party firewall or antivirus programs (Not exactly Done - Actually, I removed them all together and re-installed them because there had been some issues. I tested after the un-install, before the re-install and had no luck. )
Use the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) tool to scan all Windows File Protection (WFP)-protected files (done & used installation disk for any needed repairs - currently re-booting and then trying other suggested items on page.)
Re-register .dll files (done)
Create a New Account (non-admin) (done)
Verify that the Microsoft Cryptographic Services service is started (done)

-----------------
Alright, so I started up in safemode... but when I'm in safemode my wireless internet doesn't work at all, so I can't tell if there is really a problem with my secure http access because it throws the same error as not having a web connection does.

And, in answer to the suggestion of checking the admin account, this is the admin account. I added a new account and that one has the same issue.
-----------------

I also am having an issue with MSN messenger, and Microsoft says that the two issues go hand-in-hand.

Edited by Raine Dragon, 09 February 2008 - 12:21 AM.

Raine Dragon

Raine Dragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I tried to repair the instalation of XP from the CD and that failed (actually.. failed; like it couldn't do it properly and then windows kept crashing.)

So I have totally re-installed windows. It works now.