Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gears of war menu crash

• Please log in to reply

J-Nard

J-Nard

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just bought gears of war for my laptop and it wont work. I got the newest driver for my graphics card like it told me to, and the game crashes at the menu. Its wierd because I can let the game just idle without pressing enter at the startup of the game and the game will still crash. Its almost like its on some kind of "crash timer" (I just made that up) or something. I dont know what to do.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What are the specs of the laptop?

Have you gone to Canyourunit.com to make sure your specs are up to par with the game?

J-Nard

J-Nard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yeah, i just did that, and it passed everything. my comp is a brand new toshiba satellite X205 gaming laptop. also bioshock wont work either. its like the vista games dont work on the vista enabled laptops because i've heard about this going on to other people.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Did you have problems before you upgraded your drivers? The mobile GPU could use different drivers than the descrete video cards (could be wrong). Download the drivers from the Toshiba website instead of the Nvidia one.

J-Nard

J-Nard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yeah, i had problems playing the vista games. but call of duty 4 and halflife work perfect. i tried to look at the toshiba website for drivers and i all i found was really old ones or ones not for the satellite x205.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Well your chipset is fairly unique being SLI mobile so I try whatever older drivers are on the Toshiba site. Go to this page: http://www.csd.toshi...kceghdgngdgnn.0.

Download the one that says this: "nVidia Display Driver for Windows Vista (v7.15.11.5664 Logo; 09-18-2007; 57.47M)".

J-Nard

J-Nard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
that didn't work either. it actually made my comp a little slower and both games did the same thing.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Alright, run the game so that it will crash.

Then right click on My Computer and select "manage"

Double click on Event Viewer, select application. Report what the error says.

Edited by Titan8990, 04 February 2008 - 04:16 PM.

J-Nard

J-Nard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
here's the error:
Faulting application wargame-g4wlive.exe, version 1.0.3329.131, time stamp 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0bdb0c3f, process id 0xd18, application start time 0x01c867afee9eddbe.
i hope you can understand this.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Sorry, should have asked this a long time ago. Have you tried right clicking the game and selecting "run as administrator"?

Have you tried reinstalling the game?

Are you running the 32bit or 64bit version of Vista?

Edited by Titan8990, 07 February 2008 - 08:33 PM.

Advertisements

J-Nard

J-Nard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ive tried the admin thing and that didnt work, i havent reinstalled, and 32 bit

J-Nard

J-Nard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
did i give you the right error message?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, but it appears to be slightly different with Vista. On XP it would typically say which part of the program was at fault. Here is an example: Faulting application potbs.exe, version 1.0.48.0, faulting module ui.dll, version 1.0.48.0, fault address 0x000257d4.

Anyways next thing to try is getting the latest patch for the game. Reinstall the game first. Disable any real-time protection software you have for the duration of the install (Ant-Virus, Anti-Spyware, etc.). These have been known to interfere with some software installations.

Do you have other games that run on this laptop?

J-Nard

J-Nard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok, ill try that. yes i have other games and they all work fine, like Half-Life 2 and Episode 1, Counter Strike, Call of Duty 4,and Medival 2: Total War. the only games that dont work are the vista games so far.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Let me know if that works out.