Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Audio Device, but still have sound?

• Please log in to reply

LCollins2

LCollins2

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
after reciently having serious problems with my computer, a corrupted regestry, i got my computer back up and running with alot of help from this site, specificly wannabe1, and everything at first appeared to be running jus fine and normal, but when i get online and go to sites, the sites play no sound, but my windows media player has sound as do all other programs on my computer. so i decided to check in my control panel and in sounds and audio devices, and wen i got there i was suprised to see that under the volume tab it says i have no audio device, and i cannot control the volume. under the audio tab my default sound playback device is modem #0 line playback and this is my only option to choose, then under the hardware tab tho, it says my SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio is working properly, as is every other device listed under the hardware tab. needless to say im not very experienced and very confused, why would i still have sound for media player and i tunes and every other program on my computer, but no online sounds and apparently no audio hardware found??? any help is greatly appreciated

Advertisements

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
no help on this one???

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello again...

Bad timing...4th quarter of the super bowl. :)

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) Sound, video, and game controllers. Locate your sound device, right click on it, and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change.

Reboot and let Windows install the device. Try the sound and let me know if there is any change.

wannabe1

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
no that didnt change anything. i also tried to update the driver but theres no updates. but the only sound device that i can choose from is Modem #0 Line Playback, and thats wrong, its usually SoundMAX, i didnt lose my soundmax or anything it still says its there and working properly. this isnt really a problem, just more of an annoyance than anything

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's look at some things...

From Control Panel, "Open Sound and Audio devices", and click on the "Sounds" tab. What is listed in the "Sound Scheme" field?

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
windows default

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Under the Voice and Audio tabs, is your SoundMAX device shown as the Default device?

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
no, its Modem #0 Line Playback, and it wont let me choose anything else

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Under the Hardware tab, is Modem #0 in the list of devices?

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
no, closest thing to it is Unimodem Half Duplex Audio Device

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Go gack into Device Managerand click on View and Show hidden devices. See if that makes anything else visible?

If not, Windows keeps a Device Manager entry for every piece of hardware that's ever been recognized by the system, regardless of whether it is currently present in the machine or was even set up correctly in the first place. The "View Hidden Devices" option in Device Manager won't show you these "residual" drivers.

You can force it to show you everything by going to My Computer, Properties, the Advanced tab, Environment Variables, and adding a new system variable with the name "DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES" and a value of 1. Now opening Device Manager and choosing "Show Hidden Devices" really will show you everything.

Another alternative is to issue the following from a command prompt.

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

Leave the command prompt window open while you look in Device Manager. Close it when done. This is temporary and goes away when you close the command prompt window so the Environment Variable method is better.

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
still nothing new

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think you've given us one we're gonna have to do our homework on.... :)

Give me a bit to research and I'll post back with what I find.

LCollins2

LCollins2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
lol i seem 2 b pretty good at presenting you with tough ones, thank you tho

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You mentioned in your original post that in Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, when you clicked on the Hardware tab, the SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio was shown as working properly.

What do you see if you select it and then click on the Properties button? Can you then click on the Driver tab and rollback the driver?