Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant Freezing!

• Please log in to reply

migigicoko

migigicoko

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright, I've had a rough past with this computer. It's was originally an emachines Windows XP, but after collecting dust for a few years, the processor fried and I got it fixed in a computer shop. The guy outfitted it with a new motherboard and processor, and put it in a CoolerMaster box. After that, it worked GREAT for several months, maybe almost a year. Then, I started having problems with it once more. I'm not as graphically-focused as most gamers when it comes to computer games. Text games are my alley (despite my nVIDIA 6200 AGP graphics card and 2.5 gigs of RAM) and this day was no different. I left a MUD up and running while I went to school, and I came home to find that my computer had locked up at some point in the day. It was odd, since that had never happened before. Then, it started happening constantly. I couldn't leave my computer on for the whole day without it crashing or freezing. I suspected that the hardware was overheating, and I outfitted it with FOUR fans and an LCD temperature read-out device for the PSU and motherboard. Even with all these fans, my computer was crippled. The PSU would peak at 96-101 degrees F, and the computer would freeze. It wouldn't crash anymore, but it would freeze. Now I can't even let the computer run for an hour or two without it freezing, and with myself having a growing interest in running my own MUD, this is unacceptable. I was so desperate that I even moved in a fan from my garage to help cool it off to no avail.

So, I don't know what to do. I'm not sure if I can wipe it with the XP disc I have, since it's for emachines and I do believe that now my motherboard is different. I think there's a chance that it's a driver error, but I wouldn't know how to check. All I know is my computer runs at average temperatures and still crashes, which leads me to believe its not overheating, because my other computer sits in a hot nook and we never restart it, it must be in the 100 degrees F and we've never had a problem.

So, what should I do?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi migigicoko, welcome. It's half-time so I'm checking in :)

Try booting to Safe Mode with Networking and see if the problem occurs there. If not then it is indeed either something that is starting at boot time or a corrupted device driver.

See here for Safe Mode info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222