Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio screwy

• Please log in to reply

h3gi

h3gi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, I've been having problems with my audio since I first built my computer a few months back, but only now did I really have an issue with it. I had trouble getting the front panel to work with my headset, but after messing around with drivers etc. I finally sort of got it to work. Before a few days ago, both my speakers and my headset would playback audio. Adjusting the default in my sound properties did nothing. I would then just turn off (manually adjust volume knob to 0) my speakers whenever I didn't need them. I'm not sure what happened, but now my speakers don't work at all since a few days ago. When I plug them in the front jack, nothing comes out. I hear fuzz that gets louder as I increase the volume, but no audio comes out. However, I plugged in my monitor's built-in speakers into my front jack and I hear sound. None of the three mentioned hardware produce any sound in the back port.

But this is similar to what happened when I first plugged in my audio hardware. If I wanted to switch from my speakers to my headset, I would have to go into sound properties and make the headset the default playback device and then wait for varying amounts of time, sometimes having to restart whichever application I needed sound from.

And never has the Plug-In-Your-Headset-And-Your-Speakers-Are-Automatically-Muted! option worked.

I have the latest HD Audio drivers installed for Windows Vista and use an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Nvidia nForce 570 motherboard. When I look under Sound Properties, I see under the Playback tab Speakers displayed as Not plugged in, although they are and they're on), Headphones (Default, Working), and Digital Output Device (SPDIF) (Working).

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Edited by h3gi, 03 February 2008 - 07:09 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well if the speakers don't work in front but the headphones do then I'd say it is one of two things.... either your speakers are digital and the front isn't outputting a digital signal or your speakers are shot.