Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for advice

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It will absolutely whip it :)

Troy

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

okay, one last thing (I think), this system you put together for me will run circles around the HP one I posted in the first post for sure?

It's much better, in terms of gaming performance it's like comparing an apple to an orange.

okay, so as long as I play my older games and maybe a few newer ones (but not crysis) this should should be able to play maxed out with AA and AF?

Again, it all has to do with what game and what resolution. Some games are more demanding then others, for the most part you won't have any troubles with games on high settings, assuming your running a computer at 1680x1050 or less.

James

Edited by james_8970, 05 February 2008 - 07:36 PM.

spookymufu

spookymufu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
one game I'm really interested in is COD4.......my current rig cant play it :-(

anything else I need before I pull the trigger and order?

Edited by spookymufu, 05 February 2008 - 07:54 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Nope looks good to me.
James

spookymufu

spookymufu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Okay, order was sent, I dont know how long the stuff will take to get here but it's looking like sometime next week.

Thanks for your help and I'll be sure to post when I get it all put together. I never ordered from newegg before so I hope everything comes and works when it gets here.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Good luck :)
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

okay, one last thing (I think), this system you put together for me will run circles around the HP one I posted in the first post for sure?

It's much better, in terms of gaming performance it's like comparing an apple to an orange.

More like comparing a super bio-mechanically engineered fusion turbo fruit to an orange. :) It will be much, much better.

And don't be worried about Newegg, they are the US's #1 computer part e-tailer and are known for their speedy shipping. :)

If anything doesn't work, you can blame it on Fedex for tossing the package around (my first 680i mobo came looking like it had been through a war), but you can simply call or go online and Newegg will send you a replacement via their RMA process. :)

spookymufu

spookymufu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

More like comparing a super bio-mechanically engineered fusion turbo fruit to an orange. :) It will be much, much better.

lets hope the HP rig is the Orange :)

I got the tracking numbers today for everything except the case, lets hope that comes soon as well.

Edited by spookymufu, 07 February 2008 - 12:10 PM.

spookymufu

spookymufu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
hey ya'll, all the parts showed up today, I am curious tho, do I need to go to radio shack and get some thermal grease, the CPU booklet doesnt mention it.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
What CPU did you end up ordering? As long it is a retail CPU and it came with a stock heatsink and fan, there should be a thermal pad applied to the bottom of the heatsink which should be sufficient unless you plan on overclocking. If you do plan on overclocking, I'd get a whole new heatsink and fan, not just new thermal paste.

Advertisements

spookymufu

spookymufu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

What CPU did you end up ordering?

this one
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115037

I didnt see any thermal anything on it tho

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The thermal grease should be located on the heatsink.
James

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
:) nice wolfdale.

Yea, the grease/compound should be right on the sink. It's usually protected by a plastic cup/cap like think or is covered in a film. OR, it could be in a tube in the box.

have fun! XD

I've heard bad things about the grease you get at RS so... yea.

spookymufu

spookymufu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
oh man, this thing is smoking.

I maxed out all my installed games and get a solid 99fps in BF2 with aa/af at 16x and res of 1280x768.

I did a benchmark test and my old system got in the lower 300's this one gets 1598.

I am currently using my old 120gb IDE drive as the master, I assume the system might speed up a little more when I use the 500gb SATA but I guess with out it being formated the SATA doesnt even show up in the list of drives. So the system defaults to my IDE drive. Not really sure whats going on there. My old drive is running Win XP Pro.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I am currently using my old 120gb IDE drive as the master, I assume the system might speed up a little more when I use the 500gb SATA but I guess with out it being formated the SATA doesnt even show up in the list of drives. So the system defaults to my IDE drive. Not really sure whats going on there. My old drive is running Win XP Pro.

If you are using a new computer with a old hard drive it is HIGHLY recommended that you reformat your hard drive.
James

Edit: Do you mind me asking what BIOS version did that board ship with? If you don't know how to verify this, I can give you some instructions on my next post, if you don't mind doing a simple test.

Edited by james_8970, 12 February 2008 - 02:20 PM.