Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cpu question

• Please log in to reply

andrew brunner

andrew brunner

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
i have a AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1.8GHz Socket 939 110W Dual-Core Processor

does that mean it would be like having a 3.6GHz single core processor

Advertisements

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
In a short answer, no. I'm not exactly sure how it all works, but I think dual core will give you roughly 50% bonus over single core, and a quad core will give roughly 25% over dual. Don't quote me on this, i'm not very sure at all.

Basically multiple cores will let you multitask a lot better. Meaning you can run a lot of programs at high speeds, as your computer has more cores to utilize if one is preoccupied. That's my understand at least. Probably flawed.

Read the Wikipedia article if you want.

Edited by Seltox, 04 February 2008 - 06:56 AM.

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
From what i know, it is usually a yes, I would not say that it is like having a 3.6GHz single core processor, but rather "rated at 3.6GHZ" so if a game requires 3.6GHZ you are in for it.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

Hi andrew..

No, not necessarily..

1. A dual core processor means that the processor has two core in which each core operates at certain speed

eg. Opty 165 is a dual core of 1.8GHz each..

=======

Case 1: When gaming, most of the game (not all games though) only use single thread to operate. It won't utilize all processor resource thus a single core processor is good enough for gaming purpose. In short, a faster single core is better than slower dual core in gaming terms. (keep in mind that most of hi-end modern gaming eg: Crysis, does utilize full usage of dual-core processor - but not yet quad-core processor)

Case 2: When you do rendering 3d images/objects via 3dMax or Maya, the multiple core processor is definitely better than just a single core processor. You may say a dual-core 1.8GHz processor has similar processing process of 3.6GHz single core processor. A quad-core processor is better than dual-core in this case.

Thus, the application/software itself that determine wether it will fully utilize multi-core processing prowess or a single-core processor just enough.

But for modern usage, a dual-core processor is always a better choice :)

andrew brunner

andrew brunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Hi andrew..

No, not necessarily..

1. A dual core processor means that the processor has two core in which each core operates at certain speed

eg. Opty 165 is a dual core of 1.8GHz each..

=======

Case 1: When gaming, most of the game (not all games though) only use single thread to operate. It won't utilize all processor resource thus a single core processor is good enough for gaming purpose. In short, a faster single core is better than slower dual core in gaming terms. (keep in mind that most of hi-end modern gaming eg: Crysis, does utilize full usage of dual-core processor - but not yet quad-core processor)

Case 2: When you do rendering 3d images/objects via 3dMax or Maya, the multiple core processor is definitely better than just a single core processor. You may say a dual-core 1.8GHz processor has similar processing process of 3.6GHz single core processor. A quad-core processor is better than dual-core in this case.

Thus, the application/software itself that determine wether it will fully utilize multi-core processing prowess or a single-core processor just enough.

But for modern usage, a dual-core processor is always a better choice :)

thanks that was very helpful

black_shadow_1981

black_shadow_1981

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
so im guessing a 2.13 Dual-Core will run faster then a 3.2 single-core? but the single core is better for games and some apps? :)