Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SDRAM Memory speed compatibility

• Please log in to reply

Stinky Britches

Stinky Britches

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi all. Reviewed the posts using SDRAM as keyword but could not find an answer so I need your help please. I just put an old HP Pavilion xt923 running Win Pro back into service after a long hiatus in the basement. Opened the case and noticed one lonely stick of Memory. Checked HP Specifications page for this model and I find this Desktop PC can be maxed out with 512MB = 2 pcs 256MB DIMM, PC100, 168 pin, SDRAM. I visited a few online vendors that sell surplus/discounted items and noticed the PC100 is a rare animal. It is old. PC133 seems to be more readily available. I understand that if I use PC133 I would not realize an increase in speed. I'm just wondering if I may use PC133 if PC100 does not avail itself to me. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might let http://crucial.com/# scan your PC and let it report what memory you need. Might then check at TigerDirect for the memory sticks you need.

Ron

Doctor Inferno

Doctor Inferno

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Your motherboard would then take the lower speed of the RAM

Stinky Britches

Stinky Britches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi Major Payne and thank you for your reply. I thought I had sufficient information from the HP Specifications page, so I am a little confused about going to crucial.com for a system scan. Sorry to say this is beyond my capability at this time, with that PC, as it is not an online PC. Short story long: After my wife set up a home office (new position at her work) using DSL, I subsequently let my 56k dial-up service contract expire. Before I ever got my PC hooked up to my wife's DSL a major System Configuration Error occured which I am still trying to overcome. I brought the old PC up from the basement to use as primary HDD PC in an effort to repair the Sys Conf Err HDD PC. I've never done the second HDD slave/master thing before so I've been downloading info all over the place to learn how. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the PC that I brought up from the basement could use more Memory, which lead to my inquiry. I do thank you for your reply and I appreciate your time.

Hi Doctor Inferno. Thank you for your reply: " Your motherboard would then take the lower speed of the RAM". Please pardon me for being thick as a brick, but does that mean that yes, PC133 may be used in lieu of PC100? Thanks for your time and clarification.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
crucial

According to crucial pc133 will work

Stinky Britches

Stinky Britches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts