Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Recurring Updates

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi all, yes I searched! But didn't find anything really relevant.

I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit, and the updates shown in the picture become available as an "optional" Windows Update on their own accord, I've seen them three times now.

The first time, which was about three months ago, I selected them all to install. It downloaded them all and "installed" them all. The next time I saw them (about 2 weeks ago) I thought "Hhhmmmmm they look familiar", I didn't install them and I haven't seen them until tonight again. I usually check for Microsoft Updates every 2 or 3 days (manually).

I really don't know a lot about updates, except I pretty much apply everything and have never had any problems with Microsoft Updates (except on a friends computer with audio driver errors :))

I know these aren't critical security patches, but why didn't they install the first time? Why are they so random? Shall I try and hide them?

Thanks

Troy

EDIT: The Xbox 360 Controller one is new, as I recently purchased one. The program on my computer says no updates available, but this one comes up?

Edited by troy, 04 February 2008 - 06:19 AM.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hi troy,

Have you checked out the following MS KB?
How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are repeatedly offered an update

Ax

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I've never seen that KB before, I'll work through it when I get home. I just think that it's weird in that it offers them at random, not every time I search for the updates... :)

I'll post an update later when I've worked through it.

Troy

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) I'll keep an eye out for any other suggestions as well.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay this is weird.

According to my "View Update History", all 5 were installed on the 17th January. The following 3 were cancelled :) on 30th January (after they were already installed):
  • Windows Live Mail
  • Windows Live OneCare Family Safety
  • Windows Live Toolbar 3.01

Following the instructions on that KB, it says to run the Malicious Software Removal Tool. Looking on the download page for this, it says it's not compatible with Vista. You think this could be malware related? I ran some scans just this morning, all came back clear. I ran AVG Anti-Spyware, Spybot S&D, Superantispyware Free Edition, avast! antivirus. All were fully updated before the scans. If you think, I'll work through the Malware instructions and post a log to be sure...

Cheers

Troy

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
So far, I've got nothing else.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Alright, this is getting weirder!

Though Vista is not on the compatibility list for the Malicious Software Removal Tool download site, I have October 2007, November 2007, December 2007, and January 2008 listed as installed under "View Update History". I'm guessing the February 2008 update will be released shortly, as it's not available via my updates yet.

I've run my scans, I'm going to go post a log. This is getting rather worriesome :)

I'll report back with the results.

Troy

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Yeah, Windows Updates usually go out on the second Tuesday of the month, so that would be the 12th.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
My logs are clean, thanks to Essexboy. So malware is not the problem :)

Out of the blue today, they came up again. I installed them all (again), so we'll see if they continue. This is so weird :)

If anybody has any ideas, I'd be interested!

Cheers

Troy

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
That's good it's not malware, please keep us updated.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well they're back this morning, I'm tempted just to hide them because they're apparently installed! Anyone think this might be a viable option?

Although there's a different one added this time... :)

Cheers

Troy